Search

Tuscan base, Florence daytrips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan base, Florence daytrips

Hi! I am planning a wedding in Italy
(May 2007). Many in our party have expressed desire to explore Florence. Understanding the need to take public transportation into Florence,please suggest towns,agriturismos,villas that can house large numbers of people(20-25)in Tuscany/Umbria and yet allow for convenient daytrips into Florence.

Thanks,
Susan
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I'm going to suggest looking for a villa in Prato, although you may not think it is scenic enough for a wedding.

I also recommend that you look at villas near Siena. The members of your wedding party should be willing to take a taxi into Siena to catch a bus or a train to Firenze for day trips. From that area, they could probably also hook up with tours of the wine country, etc.

Finally, what about Fiesole of the fancy villas with views of Firenze?

http://www.traveltuscany.net/propert...abuonavita.htm

You might have to rent more than one villa given the size of your party.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Again, not big enough for 20-25, but you might find another nearby:

http://www.rentvillas.com/PropertyDe...x?Catalog=4016
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. These vilas are extremely expensive. Is this to be expected due to proximity to Florence?

Thanks,

Susan
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM

suetibu,

I am very far from being an expert on the prices of large Tuscan villas! May I suggest that you e-mail someplace like Parker Villas, state your budget and your requirements, and if they tell you their villas are beyond your budget, ask them for a recommendation for another reputable rental agency who handles villas or agriturismos?

Another comapany to work with might be a website called Via Travel Design. Even if they are high end, they might be able to tell you where to look.

The Slow Travel website has lots of villa and agriturismo rental reviews, as well as a message board.

Lastly, do you need cooking facilities? Perhaps you could rent out an entire B&B, which would also have the advantage of getting everybody breakfast in the morning.

Something like this?

http://www.villarucellai.it/Seconda/index.htm

I don't know about public transportation to Firenze from these towns, but perhaps you'll find something affordable here:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe/italy#1305

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Look at www.slowtrav.com for lots of info about renting in Italy (as well as elsewhere in Europe).

But, I think it would be hard to find that big a villa with access to public transportion.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:56 PM

I found that the views from Fiesole weren't that great - especially on hot, sunny days (smog/pollution caused a very hazy view).

Fiesole is great though (but I think you can find much better places for a wedding - maybe get out of Florence a bit ...)

Cheers,
Crissy

www.sockmonkey75.blogspot.com