Turkish dress code

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Mary

Turkish dress code

Quick, I need help! We leave Sunday morning for Turkey and are attempting to only bring carryon luggage. Does my husband need a sport coat for dining in Istanbul? We're from Kansas City, and even most of the nicest resturants don't require them. But you never know what to expect in other countries. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Paulo

My friend and I didn't have a coat or jacket. We visited Turkey in July and the heat is just too much to wear one. Our wives also wore lighht stuff. We dined in pretty nice restaurants here and there and didn't have any problems at all. I guess I wore a long sleeved shirt once (and it certainly wasn't a must). We visited Marmaris, Bodrum, Pamukkale, Kusadasi, Bergama, Canakkale, Bursa and Istanbul.

You shouldn't worry. Our's was a month long visit to Greece and Turkey. We had planned to do some laundry when needed. We didn't bother. When we got to Turkey my friend and I were running low on clean stuff. Cotton clothing is so cheap that we opted to go shopping instead of doing our laundry.

Paulo

Jun 9th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Mary

Thanks Paulo for the advice. Its less then 24 hours till blast off. I'm so excited. I have read your posts about Turkey for months now, and can say they helped alot when we were planning the trip. Thanks again!

Jun 9th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Lisa

Enjoy your trip, Mary. I can't remember when you will be back because I'm interested in your trip report. We leave in 11 days. I'm sure you won't be back by then.

Jun 9th, 2001, 01:49 PM
danny

Mary, Dining in Istanbul is casual. No jacket is needed even in best restaurant (Ciragan Palace Hotel).Just remember no shorts and shoulders need to be covered in mosques.

Jun 9th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Paulo

My wife and her friend solved the mosque "problem" by buying beautiful multicolored large pieces of silk (wrapped along the waist over their shorts, making very nice long skirts

Paulo