Buy a teen a museum pass to save time?

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:09 PM
cheviot

Buy a teen a museum pass to save time?

Hello,
We plan to visit several museums when we go to Paris later this month, and we know about the value of the several-day museum pass. Question: Since we're traveling with our fourteen-year-old, should we invest in a pass for her, even though youths are admitted free of charge? My concern is having to wait in long lines for the free admission--thereby undoing the benefit to us of the adult passes. Thoughts? Thanks.

Jun 7th, 2001, 02:47 PM
StCirq

You can rest assured that the museum guards in Paris aren't going to separate you from your teen just because she isn't holding a Carte Musées et Monuments. They'll happily let her go right through the passholders' line along with you. Depending on how old she looks, it's possible they will want to see proof of age - but most unlikely.

Jun 7th, 2001, 09:52 PM
clairobscur

Just to complete the previous post :

The museum pass doesn't give you some special right to enter without queuing.

It only insure you that you won't have to queue to buy your tickets. So, in most cases, if you have a pass or are allowed to enter for free (childrens), you won't wait.

In the uncommon instance people have to wait to enter in the museum itself and not only to buy their tickets (could happen in a little museum displaying some popular exhibition and attracting an unusual number of visitors), the pass won't help, either. You'll have to wait like everybody else.

Jun 9th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Patty

I recently took my 16 year old to Paris. I bought a museum pass for myself only (at the Rodin, a small museum). My daughter carried her high school ID and showed it upon entering with me. No questions asked and never waited in lines. Are you aware of the "secret" passage to the Louvre and the "no line" entry to the d'Orsay? Detailed information can be found on this site. I printed out a copy, took it with me and NEVER waited in line at either museum.

Jun 9th, 2001, 02:21 PM
traveller

I don't think that's right clairobscur, I have passed the lines without having to wait by showing the pass. This had nothing to do with the ticket line, it was the line to get in. Once you show the guard in front your pass, you just sail in, this was the same at Orsay, Notre Dame and Louvre.