Turkey - worst time re: mosquitoes?

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey - worst time re: mosquitoes?

My fiance and I are considering Turkey for our honeymoon. If we did it right after the wedding, it would be the last 1.5 weeks of June and first 1.5 weeks of July.

Our initial thoughts on itinerary would include: Istanbul, Cappadoccia, Turquoise coast (with a week-long gulet excursion, then the coast back to Pammukkale.

Is this a bad time regarding bugs and mosquitoes (given our locations)? Would September or October be better? It seems silly to ask about bugs, but I am one of those people who attract them like crazy.

We recognize it will be hotter and busier in June/July. . .is there any disadvantage to waiting for September? Will Ramadan impact our plans?

Thanks very much,
Stevie
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM

We did a gulet about that time of year in 2000. We started in Antalya and I remember the pier we left from was carpet bombed with bug spray at dusk. While on the gulet, we all slept on the sun decks and the only time the mosquitos were a real problem was the night we slept across fron Kale, anchored next to a small island with billy goat families, olive trees and mosquitos! They were so bad I rubbed deet in my scalp and on my clothes. The rest of the time I honestly don't remember even noticing them. You will love it! Again I don't remember a mosquito problem in Istanbul or cappadocia either
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM

Hi Canadienne,
Congratulations with your forthcoming marriage.....
If you can September is much nicer for your itinerary. However there are places where there will be less or non mosquitos...
July is the hottest month in Turkey.

Ramazan will not effect your plans.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM

We were there last August (Istanbul, to Cappadoccia then back along Med), and I cannot remember a single mosquito, and we stayed in many hotels with open windows. In Istanbul we stayed a bit north of the city at a house, and ate and lounged outside every night. Ther may have been some, but not to the extent that we noticed or looked for repellant.