Worried about Kusadasi...

Old May 16th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worried about Kusadasi...

Hi! We are planning to use Kusadasi as our base to explore that region in mid-June. It seems like the most central place in that region (we want to visit Ephesus, Aphrodisia and Pergamum), but I am worried that it will be overrun with cruise-shippers and everything else that goes with that Has anyone been to Kusadasi lately? What is it like? If too touristy, is there another place nearby that is more tranquil but still central? I would love to get some recommendations...Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
mdv

From what I've been reading , tourism is down in Turkey. Also, according to one of my friends who goes to Turkey every other summer, things don't get really busy until late June or early July. Sorry, it's secondhand info., but
it might spark more comments.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I was in Kusadasi last September (on a tour) and our guide told us because of the political situation in the mid-East cruise ships were not stopping there. The port was empty. I'd been there several years ago on a cruise and the dock area was full of vendors--these, too, were gone. It might be a very convenient base now. Have fun.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:50 PM

My husband and I are also going to be in Kusadasi in June. Many people have told us to stay in Selcuk instead of Kusadasi. I ignored all the advice because I wanted to stay at the Hotel Kismet (I hope I am not sorry). You might check Selcuk out, it is right next to Ephesus. It is our first trip to Turkey and we leave in 3 weeks!
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Sen28,
I just read your other post. It sounds like we are doing the same trip in June. My husband and I will be in Istanbul and Cappadocia as well as Kusadasi. I have had great luck with Argeus travel services. They booked all our internal flights and we are taking a tour of the underground cities with them in Cappadocia. They also arrange airport pickup in Cappadocia for only 5US. We are staying at Esbelli Evi in Urgup. www.Esbelli.com- my email correspondence with them has been delightful. They even said they would have breakfast waiting for us when we arrive from our 7:30am flight from Istanbul!
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:47 PM

good choice of in Cappadocia Oforparis.
Argeus is the finest choice too.

Have fun in Turkey
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice! Oforparis, we are planning to stay at the Kismet at well (a Turkish colleague of mine recommended it to me) - that's one of the reasons we picked Kusadasi as well!! I have so many questions for you (I hope you don't mind)....(1) How do I get in touch with Argeus travel? Are they in the US or Turkey? Do they do car bookings as well (are you driving?) (2) Did you book Esbelli Evi directly or through Argeus? How many days are you spending in Istanbul, Cappadocia and Kusadasi? In what order? I noticed that there is no direct way to get from Cappadocia to Kusadasi - are you going via Istanbul (I assume you are flying)? Or is there a more direct way of travelling between the two regions? Thanks!!!
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Sen 28,
I am just about to leave work so I will reply more in depth to you Monday.
www.argeus.com.tr/ -
Book directly w/ Esbelli- go to web and they have an email link. The website is great- check out the pictures and what the tour guides/magagzines have to say.
Istanbul - June 8-14
Fly Istanbul to Kayseri (Cappadocia)
June 14 3 days in Cappadocia
Fly Kayseri-Istanbul-Izmir on June17.
Cesme 2 days- Kusadasi 3 days back to Istanbul on June 22. Then to Paris.
Kismet hotel gave me their tour company
www.ststours.com- Sevil there has been a great help for the Agean area. I think she got me a good deal for the Kismet also.
More Monday- Do any of our dates overlap?
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:07 PM

I wouldn't worry. It does get a little crowded with tourists when the ships are in, but it's not offensive. If you stay at the Kismet you are above it all anyway, because of their unique setting. Tranquil is a good word for it. Selcuk is OK--it's a nice little town, but I think too quiet, and also a little hot and dry. As the other poster said, you can see Selcuk when you visit Ephesus.
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input! Sounds like Kusadasi may not be so bad...

message for "oforparis" - thank you for all your travel agent recommendations. I am going to follow up on them tomorrow. We are contemplating two itineraries - one would involve some overlap I think. Will keep you posted!
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Hi!

We stayed in Kusadasi one night and enjoyed it! Saw at least 3 different cruise ships while we were there, but didn't notice a lot of tourists. Pigeon Island is a nice place to explore (you can walk there) and they have a market.

From the way we were treated and what we saw in our 2 weeks in Turkey, we were the only Americans they had seen.

The people of Turkey are very hospitable, friendly and helpful! Tourism has been down immensely and they want to sell you something--if you don't want it just be polite and keep on walking.

Jean
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:33 PM

I wasn't crazy about Kusadasi when I was there last July. It was touristy, and definitely not in a quaint way. I thought the place was tacky, kind of like Cancun, but without the nice beaches, and young Eastern Europeans partying instead of American college kids. But with that said, it was very convenient to Ephesus. And that definitely made up for having to stay in Kusadasi!
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Hi, I was in Greece and Turkey in 2001. I found many of the towns along the coast in Turkey are not that attractive. The ruins though are well worth seeing. What I did not like about many of the cities and towns is that they weren't cute like the Greek cities on the islands. We stayed at a 5 star hotel in Kusadasi and although it looked nice there were many problems. The airconditioning didn't reach the upper floors. Since it way over 100 outside the room was extremely hot. Luckily our children had a room 15 floors down that was nice and cool. They also recycled the food, ie same cheese plate for many meals. The cities themself are unattractive. When the economy was doing better there were alot of buildings ie apartments started. Then they ran out of money and left them half completed. I am not just talking about a few...there are hundreds of such half finished buildings. Be very careful what you eat...drink bottled water...don't eat the skin of fruit... Even though we were careful we got a horrible food poisoning. The good part though is that if you really don't like it...Greece is a easy boat trip away. We ended up leaving Kusadasi and taking a boat to Samos where we had a very enjoyable time. I did like Istanbul, I liked the ruins that you are planning on seeing ie Pergamum.
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Message for Oforparis:

Our dates are finally finalized and we might run into each other either in Cappadocia or Kusadasi...

june 14 - istanbul
june 15 morning - june 16 evening - cappadocia (staying in esbelli)we are thinking of taking a tour with argeus but not sure yet...
june 17 morning - june 20 morning - kusadasi (staying at kismet). i think we are going to go the car rental way rather than taking guided tours...
june 20 - june 26: istanbul

it'd be fun to share stories in person!
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:59 AM

If you stay in Selcuk you can start your visit to Ephesus before the tourship mob arrives. Most cruise ship visitors tend to only visit the north/central part of Ephesus and arrive at the north parking lot. The best way to visit is to start in the morning from the south, you walk downhill and the sun is at your back. If you start in the north you walk uphill into the sun.
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Hi Sen28,

It's me again. Good decision to rent a car in Kusadasi there are many Tourist guide in the both entrences (Upper and Lower)They have very reasonable fees to show you everything in the ruin so I recommend you to hire a tourist guide when you get to Ephesus ruins. Ephesus ruins very important ruins in Turkey. The rest of the ruins (like st jean church, virgin Mary's house, Artemission and Ephesus museum) you may visit by yourself.

You will stay in Kusadasi 3 days so you may go to MILETUS, PRIENNE and DIDYMA which is the other best city state in Helen and Roman period. DON'T FORGET TO GO TO SIRINCE TOWN

Have a nice trip

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! Actually, we want to go to Ephesus, Pergamum and Aphrodisia. We were planning to rent a car in Izmir when we arrive in the morning and go directly Pergamum. Then we were planning to drive from Pergamum to Kusadasi (garfield, we heard that there is nothing to do in the evenings in Selcuk). Then we were going to go to Ephesus the next day and Aphrodisia the third day.

Questions:

1. How long will it take to drive (safely each of these distances?
Izmir - Pergamum
Pergamum - Kusadasi
Kusadasi - Aphrodisia

2. Can we see both Pergamum and Ephesus in one day?

3. If we wanted to skip one of these three, which one?

4. What is the nicest (quiet, beautiful) beach that we can stop at on route to one of these places?

Old May 25th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Sen28,

1) Izmir to Pergamum is takes 2 and a half hours The road is nice But it is up to your drive Because you don't know the raod and you have look at the map to check which raod goes to Pergamum. Tha's why you may takes this road 3.5 hours IF YOU DON'T MISS THE RIGHT ROAD.
IZMIR TO KUSADASI 1 hours
KUSADASI TO AFRODISIAS 2 and a half hours.

2) You can not see ephesus and pergamum in one day because every place has alot of things to see expecially EPHESUS (Takes 1 full day)

3)If you want to skip one of these ruins, means destroy your trip or don't see the Turkey Because these 3 ruins are the one of the best place or TOP PLACES TO SEE.

4) There is no nice beach to stop between these places IF YOU GO TO Prienne, Miletus and Didyma you may stop in Didim and stop in nice beach to swim BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TIME to do this.
Because you will have full 3 days one place to another.

In the 3rd day If I were I I would drive to Prienne, Miletus and Didyma visit these ruins and have lunch in Didyma drive to Afrodisias after visit afrodisias drive to Pamukkale to stay overnight instead Kusadasi.

Have a nice trip

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Message to sen28:
We will be in Cappadocia at the same time. When you say you are staying in Esbelli, do you mean the hotel Esbelli Evi? We will be there the 14-16, leaving the morning of the 17.
We will be arriving at the Kismet on the 19th. Let's try and hook up!
I am from San Francisco, where do you live?
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Looks like we will overlap in Cappadocia and Kusadasi? Yes, we are staying at Esbelli Evi, the hotel. We are from New York - the booking there will be under Sen. Argeus was very responsive (have you heard good things about them?), but we (3 of us) are balking at the price tag ($150 per person for a two day tour). So we haven't decided yet whether we are going to go with them or do it alone (with a guide).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information