Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkey with children,(no not a recipe!).

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Marko

I want to take my wife and three kids [age 11,11,13] to Turkey in September of 2003. I would welcome any suggestions. We are planning for three weeks and want to include 5 days on a gulet {sp}. Start at Istanbul and as aussies we want to see Gallipoli. Over to the fodorites !!!!!!!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Amy

Ephesus is really cool and the kids should be at the right age for some knowledge of early world history. Sorry I can't be too much help, but I wanted to thank you for the laugh that I got from your header!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Patrick

Certainly one of the more creative titles for a post! I loved it.<BR>I would first suggest that you type in Turkey in the search function. There have been many numerous posts about how to plan such an itinerary. Once you have filtered through some of those there are many specific questions you may want to ask and we will be happy to do so. <BR>You may also want to try a search for &quot;gulet&quot; as there have been quite a number of posts about those as well.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:09 AM
ben

Never been to Turkey...but love the title ! PS whats a gulet ?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:24 AM
xxx

A gulet is a wooden motor sailing vessel, the modern version of the ancient cargo bearing craft which used to trade along the coast of Turkey. <BR>The original design has evolved into a comfortable cruising vessel and some have air conditioned accommodation for up to eighteen guests in self-contained double cabins. &nbsp;

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 02:02 AM
jen

Took 4 children to Turkey in 2002. They recommend staying at the Artemis Guest House (&quot;Jimmy's Place&quot in Selcuk near Ephesus; the manager Bron is an Aussie too and she will make you feel very welcome. She also takes women (&amp; girls) to the local hamam on women's day. It's fairly simple but the kids loved it - there are games, internet access, bike rentals, and lots of help planning side trips.<BR>The kids also recommend Pamukkale (practically every small hotel has a thermal-fed swimming pool, and you can swim in the thermal baths full of ancient ruins) &amp; its ruins Hieropolis, and Assos. Next time we'll visit Cappadocia, Fethiye &amp; Olympos. If you want more info, e-mail me.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:31 AM
brownie

Hiya,<BR><BR>We did a round trip last year starting and ending in Istanbul. It went through Cappadocia, Antalya, Kas, Olimpos, Selcuk, Gallipoli and Istanbul. It was HEAPS of fun but with plenty of bus trips.<BR><BR>I'm not sure if you're wanting overnight bus travels but the alternative would be by air. If you're going to do things by air, then perhaps you could start by looking up where the airports are and then plan routes from there.<BR><BR>You could also drive around Turkey but I don't think that would end up being a relaxing holiday. <BR><BR>You can't get to Gallipoli without bus travel though. We took an overnight from Selcuk but you could do the travelling during the day. But Gallipoli is _NOT_ to be missed. We took the tour that everyone takes (with the exception of one north american, everyone on our tour were aussies or kiwis) but you could also rent bikes and to do the circuit. I must say that the tour was really good as the guide was quite learned. That really added to the experience.<BR><BR>Overall, the locals are friendly and there is just plenty to do for all ages. <BR><BR>If you need more info, send me an e-mail. <BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>brownie.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:44 AM
derwyn

Funny....children with turkey, ha!<BR>Personally I don't like children with anything!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:48 AM
ttopper

up up

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Tom

Several years back I did a 2 week trip throughout Turkey. Istanbul for a few days, flight to Antalya, rented a car for day trip to Side and environs, Kas, Bodrum (pick up a gulak there), Marmaris, Kusadasa, Ephesus, Ismir (only to get a flight to Istanbul). It was a dream trip that I hope to repeat soon, including a stop for lunch at Euromos. Driving was easy, the people friendly, and the food/wine devine.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:17 AM
Debbie

I would recommend Cappodocia, the hiking and climbing is great for adults and kids and they would love the caves. It is a different way of life and they should enjoy seeing that.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:23 PM
q

Definately recommend Cappodocia and also the south coast, great swimming and snorkling and food and accomodation cheap.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:04 PM
AJ

I would not be taking my children to ANY muslim country, even though Turkey is supposed to be OK, there is still an element of doubt. ..and don't forget about the kurdish situation.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:51 PM
Marko

My country has become very cautious about travel since Bali. Turkey is still considered to be a very safe destination by our government. There are currently low level warnings about the US and the UK but not turkey !

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:14 PM
debby

Hi Marko,<BR><BR>Great idea to spend 5 days on a gulet but do it on the first week of Septembre as it can rain any time in Sept.From where are you going to start gulet trip? Gulf Gokova or Gocek ? After visiting Gallipoli I suggest you to stay 1-2 days in Assos (close to Gallipoli)great sea.There is a nice hotel-Assos Eden Gardens. <BR>Enjoy your trip..

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:28 AM
marko

We intend to catch the gulet from Marmaris probably to bodrum. Any thoughts on this, our time frame is actually the end of September due to school holidays.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:04 AM
murat

Dear Marko,<BR><BR>Nice header though <BR><BR>I am sure the kids will like Turkey as much as you do. For Gulet Marmaris-Bodrum is a famous route or vise versa, Marmaris-Fethiye or Gocek is an option too. Recently Gocek to Kekova is a very inn route too.<BR><BR>September is one of the best months to do the itinerary you are aiming.<BR><BR>Should you need any further information, your questions are welcome.<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two recommendations:
Kismet hotel in Kusadasi--a good base for seeing Ephesus, which is a must-see. www.kismet.com.tr/

Gulet--the Surgun'd, and captain/owner Mavis. We have chartered this gulet twice-- in 2000 and in 2002. The boat is spotlessly clean and well maintained (in contrast to many you will see), the food is wonderful, and the Captain and crew are friendly, helpful, and dedicated to pleasing you. Here is a link to an article about a cruise on the Surgun'd: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/TR185808.DTL
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:25 PM

Went to Turkey with two children, younger than yours, in October. The new science museum in Istanbul was excellent. Lots of interesting automobiles, computers, trains, airplanes to explore. Very laid back with the kids in and out of everything. Our kids loved Istanbul!!
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Dear Marko,

Turkey is a great place for families traveling with their children. Turkish people love children and hotels will do their best to give you their most convenient rooms. Get more info from Mehmet at [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -