Search

Turkey Trot II

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey Trot II

After 4 magical days in Istanbul we took the early morning flight to Kayseri. When the snacks came around and I was asked in perfect English what I would like to drink, I was emboldened to reply in my new found interest in the Turkish language "I would like a Cola Turka please". The attendant's jaw dropped and she stared at me for what seemed an eternity, until the gentleman in the aisle seat and the other attendant came to my rescue, giggling and smiling, and I was offered a glass of Cola Turka. The gentleman smiled over to me and said "You shock her. How you know Cola Turka? You try be good Turk. Great!"
We were met at the airport and transported to the Argeus Travel office in central Urgup, where we met our guide Adnan and our luggage was sent on to our hotel. We joined a French Canadian and set off to tour Cappodocia. The major portion of the tour was through the spectacular and other-wordly
landscape of the Red Valley and churches and monastaries hewn out of rock cliffs. A highlight was lunch at "Greek House" in Mustafa Pasa where we sat on pillows around a shallow table and were offered many different appetizers to sample. Delicious!
But a long and tiring day and we were happy to arrive at our hotel (Esbelli Evi) at about 5pm and plan for dinner and an early bed time. More to come if anyone is interested.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Thank you CharlieB,

You really made my night, I had a good laugh because of COLA TURKA. My wife wanted me If you like Cola Turka. We love advertisement as you did (I think) but taste was not good. What do you think?

Have fun in Cappadocia and if you go to Hanedan Restaurant tell that you are friend of me and get some better foods

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Sinan - saw the ad for Cola Turka on TV our first night in Istanbul and had to try it - and have the ad explained to me. Tell your wife I did like it. Though I am not a Cola fan, given the choice I would prefer it over Coca-Cola or Pepsi. We have been back in the States now for a month, but are already planning to return next Fall to see more of Turkey (Ankara, Konya, and the Lycian coast)and go to places we missed the first time around in Istanbul and Cappadocia - such as the Sufi evening in the Caravanserai and the hot-air ballooning and perhaps the Hanedan Restaurant. Will post again for your suggestions as our plans materialize.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Hi CharlieB,

I thought that you are writting from Cappadocia. Sorry for this
mis-understanding. I am sure you love Turkey don't you? I am sure next time you can stay in Turkey more and see more..

I am here to help

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM

What a funny post, sinan. You tell someone to go to a restaurant and if they say you're a friend they will give you better foods. Does than mean they give regular guests bad foods? This is hardly a good recommendation for a restaurant. You have to know the right people to get good food?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:10 AM

Hi earl30

I know their boss and the waiters know me and I always get better service when I and my friends get there. Sometime money doesn't not do anything in Turkey, Yes you may have money but you can not get the best.

That's why some time if you have a friend knows area and people creates beatiful friendship like I do in this forum.

Sinan Akdeniz