Turkey Trip Report (Istanbul)

Aug 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Turkey Trip Report (Istanbul)

I finally finished the Istanbul section of our Turkey trip report. Here is the link:

http://www.TwoCountriesAYear.com/sea...e-in-istanbul/

We have also complied a photo album for our trip. That can be accessed thru "Travel Album" from the above web site.

Again it was a wonderful trip. Free feel to ask any questions if I can be of any assistance.
Aug 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Enjoyed your report as we visit Istanbul next month.
Aug 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM
AMV

I especially enjoyed the photos. Thank you so much this is very timely for us as we are going next month as well!
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM

I love your pictures. The Mardin pictures, in particular, are beautiful, and so are the B&W of Hakenseyf. Very nice job.

In Istanbul, did you travel to Oktaroy district by taxi?

I like your people pictures very much. Any tips on them? Do you have a small camera that make it easier to approach people and photograph them, or do you have a DSLR?
Aug 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

AXE2DP-

From Ortakoy, we took a bus back to Taksim square. There are lots of buses going to Taksim square from Ortakoy. (We arrived there from the north on the way back to IST from our Bosphorus cruise) I'm sure taxi is an option but we'd know how much.

Turkish people are really friendly when it comes taking pics. They are happy to pose for us when asked. (And they wanted to take pics of us, especially our nine-year-old daughter as well

We have a DSLR but we also carried a small camera for convenience. We have a piece on our site reviewing the point the shoot camera we use. You are welcome to check it out if you're interested.

http://www.TwoCountriesAYear.com/rev...panion…/
Aug 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the tips, WKY123.

I just got the s95 a few weeks ago myself, so I'm looking forward to putting it to use.
Aug 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I too carry an s95 with my DSLR (a Nikon 3100). I use it mostly as a hand-off for someone else to take a pic with me in it or when I'm not carrying my d3100.

Thanks for the idea of using it to cover a range not on the DSLR. (At the moment the only lenses i have are the 18-55 kit and an 18-270, so that's not an issue, but if I ever go on a safari, for example, I might rent a longer lens and could use the s95 to cover normal range.)

Excellent review.
Aug 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, althom1122.
Aug 14th, 2011, 06:09 AM

And I just checked out your Turkey blog - enjoyed that, too. We leave in two weeks and although we're going with a group, Intrepid, we'll have a fair amount of free time. Your tips were great and I enjoyed hearing about your experiences. Thanks for sharing!