Turkey to Venice

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey to Venice

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions (or experience) going from Antalya, Turkey to Venice, Italy? Most flights seem to want to take me to London first which seems way out of the way (though I realize London is a major hub).

Thanks!
Allie
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM

First, understand that Antalya is a minor Turkish town, but the hub for many British holiday resorts. So the overwhelming likelihood is that the cheapest way of doing this is to fly to Luton, Stansted or Gatwick then get a low-cost to Treviso.

Why does it matter that it's a thousand miles longer than a non-existent direct flight? Scarcely anyone in Italy has the faintest interest in cheap flights to SW Turkey, and the days you'd probably hang round Istanbul and Rome or Milan trying to connect to a shorter-distance series of infrequent flights will convert even the most obsessive avoider of carbon emissions to an enthusiast for the joys of Britain's unique network of cheap flights to the Med.

One option I stumbled over years ago was a bus to Bodrum, a boat to Ancona, then a train to Venice, changing in Bologna. May be worth pursuing: though it took about 4 days, it was terrific fun. Alternatively, try the whichbudget site for flights from Antalya to places like Bergamo or Rome, from which you can drive or get a train.

Probably still cost more and take longer than just going via Luton.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Allie,

I just entered the THY (Turkish Airlines) web site and found a connection through Istanbul for 560 TL (may have additional taxes and such)

One flight leaves Antalya at 4AM and another at 7:15AM
The Istanbul-Venice flight is at 10:30AM.

You should be able to check your luggage all the way to venice from antalya and the walkway will take you ten minutes from domestic to international in istanbul. However, you may prefer to play it safe and take the earlier flight (which may mean atrociously expensive coffee, etc in Istanbul, although the Ant-Ist flight will serve sandwiches and cakes, and the venice flight will serve lunch.

I always check the airline sites before looking for something cheaper at expedia, kayak or orbitz, and usually end up buying the tickets directly from the airlines.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Some more info:

arrival is 12 noon in venice. (one hour difference) so a two and a half hour flight from Istanbul

antalya-Istanbul will take 75 minutes from boarding to arrival at gate.

the previous poster is a Fodor's pet British xenophobe on the forums and he usually comes up with quirky advice which is sometimes fun to read.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips! I agree that it may be easier (and cheaper) to fly through London or another major hub. I will look into your suggestions