Turkey Itinerary

Search

Turkey Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey Itinerary

Planning a trip to Turkey and am looking for your advice on the itinerary below.

Leave US July 31 and arrive in IST Aug 1st.
Tour IST 8/1-8/5
Leave early AM flight from IST to Cappadochia on 8/6 until 8/8.
Leave Cappadocia for Izmir afternoon 8/8.
See Ephesus on 8/9 AM and leave for IST PM on 8/9
Back to US on early flight 8/10.

We know that this is rushed with so much to see and do. The main questions we have--
1) ~Is 2.5 days enough in Cappadocia to enjoy it?
2) Should we just skip Ephesus and concentrate only on IST and Capp? I really want to see Ephesus (spend one night too). Or should we just day trip to Ephesus and not spend the night?
3) In IST, is the full day Bosphorus Cruise worth the time spent doing it or should we shorten that?
4) Are there other ways to maximize our time while there that anyone might suggest.

Thanks, fellow travelers.
B
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM

tough to choose between Ephesus and Cappadochia because they are both amazing. I think your itinerary is doable. I found going to Ephesus in the afternoon great as most of the cruise ship tourists leave then. We closed the place down and found it very enjoyable. We stayed the night there and then went back to Istanbul the next day,

The balloon ride over Cappadocia is amazing too. Such a unique place in the world. Enjoy.
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:57 PM

tough choice. We chose Ephesus and were not disappointed. Try to go early since it gets hot in the summer. The ruins are unbelievable.
Istanbul is one of my favorite cities. Outside of visiting the mosques, you must go to the Spice Market. I bought so much; the place we went to vacuum-sealed everything. They made up special mixtures; one for chicken, one for meat. I went crazy.
Also, going to a real Turkish bathhouse was a highpoint OF MY LIFE...I forgot the name of the one we went to, but it's the oldest one in Istanbul. Yes, if you're a woman you are naked and bathed by a topless woman (do NOT think Playboy model, more like middle-aged women who could use a good bra), but you will never be cleaner in your life. I brought my own hair products, which was not a problem. It was such a special time, I will never forget it.
Have a wonderful time...
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:33 AM

2.5 days in Cappdocia is not really bad. Although 3 complete days is excellent. But if you want to see Ephesus, you should go for it, I loved it(but I did see better ruins in other places, like Jordan for example(Jerash). So if you are going to come again to this area(WEstern Turkey/mediterranean Turkey or the Levant), you could miss Ephesus for now. Cappadocia is unique, so it does make sense spending more time.
And wit 4 days,1 day on the cruise is a good idea, I too did that. But I did many Bosporus sights along with that.
You can have a look at my trip report: http://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com/...o-turkey-trip/
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Forgot a little tidbit I loved: outside of the spice market, there are boats docked on the river that make the most delicious freshly grilled fish sandwiches. You can either order them yourself, or someone will take your order (a bit more expensive). Heavenly!