Search

Tulip fields

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tulip fields

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam next Spring. We have no problem traveling by bus/rail but may not be up to extensive biking. Given that, what would be the best way to tour the tulip fields in late April / early May? It seems to me that the options are:
- rent a car,
- hire a driver, or
- find an organized tour.
Your thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - and have a great weekend.

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM

Until you get more detailed info, here for starters the most "obvious" destination ;-)

http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html

pro: easy access by public transportation and private vehicle
con: crowded on weekends/holidays, mostly by tour buses from Germany ;-)
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We are planning at least one trip to Keukenhof. Certainly one option would be to limit it to this, but I got the impression that touring the surrounding fields was also worth while.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Take a bus from Centraal Station towards Haarlem, and ask the driver to put you off at "Hout Rusthoek", which will put you outside the Frans Roozen nurseries. Fantastic.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Hi jmf--we will be doing the same beginning May 9. We are basing in Haarlem at Stempel's Hotel. I have been practicing my bicycle skills for this trip and hope DW will start soon. Who knows, we may (literally) run into you.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:36 AM

If you are prepared to hire a car then the best place to see fields is up towards Alkmaar, or even around Emmeloord further east,in the Noord-Oost Polder, which is where most tulips are now actually grown. They have a tourist route signposted at tulip time.
Organised tours are available from Amsterdam, to the traditional bulb fields, but of course they don't give you the chance to just stand and stare.
How are you at bike riding? You can hire a bike at Keukenhof and follow a planned route through the bulb fields from there, as long or as short as you want. I think they range from 9km (about 5 miles)upwards. More info is available on the Keukonhof site under FAQ.
Also worth looking at is www.hollandrijnland.nl. Tis is the site for the tourist information for the area around Keukenhof.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM

I tiptoed thru the tulip and other flower fields:

took train Amsterdam-Haarlem-Hillegom

Hillegom station is surrounded by flower fields

then i walked about two miles thru the fields (actually on small roads as i think it's Verboten to actually enter the fields)

a lovely lovely walk thru pulchritudinous seas of undulated blooms right to the

to Keukenhof

then took bus to Leiden train station to return to amsterdam.

Bus 100 (i believe 100) also runs from Haarlem train station thru the fields to Keukenhof and on to Leiden
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:02 AM

We will be staying in an Untours apartment in Leiden during that same time, and plan on using the bus to Keukenhof. Once in Keukenhof we will bike it.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM

you could bike to Haarlem and then return to Leiden in a few minutes by train.

don't know if buses take bikes
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Amsterdam for tulip season (mid-April this year). I thought I'd want to get out and see more of the fields either on foot or by bike, but honestly between all that we saw on the train to Leiden, and then the lookout points at Keukenhof that are over the fields themselves, in addition to the total overload (in a good way!) of tulips at the Keukenhof, we were quite satisfied with what we saw that way.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Buses don't take bikes.
It is VerboDen. Verboten is German
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Keukenhof is not "tulip fields," it is a collection of manicured gardens. A pretty place, but not as impressive as the rows of uniformly colored tulips reaching into the distance.

To see the fields, you should rent a car, get the Michelin Green Guide to the Netherlands and note the tulip icons, and hit the road. We have had a lot of luck in the areas west of Leiden, east of Alkmaar, and east of Leeuwarden.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:24 AM

The Keukenhof does have a viewing platform from which you can see miles of flower fields that abut it. Or you can go out the gate, turn right and be in the midst of them.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
smueller, there are at least 3 (that I can remember) spots on the map at the Keukenhof that are marked as spots to see the fields nearby. One of which was at the windmill. You get to see them from various distances and can do everything but actually walk in them, which as PalQ says, you can do outside the gardens.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM

going there in April/May 2008 also. This is good info.

Thanks, Julie
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM

I would like to contribute my trip report (starting at page three) of our visit to Holland's Keukenhof Gardens with lots of photos. Enjoy.

http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...7Holland3.html
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

The consensus seems to be that Keukenhof makes touring the tulip fields unnecessary. Does anyone have anything further response to the opening post? Thanks again ...

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 03:00 AM

I've been to Keukenhof a number of times over the years. Biked or drove from Haarlem (where I lived) and bussed from Leiden.

Since you are not into a long bike ride I think your best plan is to do what PalenQ did. Take the train to Hillegom and return via bus to Leiden and train to Amsterdam, assuming that is where you are camped.

I see that a couple of people are staying in Haarlem or Leiden, certainly good choices for seeing Keukenhof and expeiencing a more rational Holland than Amsterdam offers.

Be flexible in scheduling and choose a bright sunny day for your trip.

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM

and IME avoid weekends, especially Sundays at the Keukenhof as the Sunday i was there was super super crowded with Dutch visitors

there will lines to get in the several hothouses, the premier attraction it seemed

a weekday would be much better i thinnk
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM

On weekends also many tourists from Belgium, Germany etc. come over, so better be there on a weekday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -