TSA lock for flight to Italy????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you use TSA locks on your checked-in luggage on flights to Italy or are they only for North American flights? I'm travelling on Alitalia from Toronto to Venice, connecting in Rome and I would like to lock my bag, if I'm unable to carry it on. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
ira

Hi tim,

Look up the subject in the "search this forum" box.

It has been discussed many times.

We put cable ties on the luggage. They are just as useful for keeping the casual thief oout of your bags.

The pros will get around the locks if they want to.

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I use these locks on all flights now..most times the agents will open them (not in front of me but after I check the bag) using the special lock, and then lock them again. Once in a while, very infrequently, they will break the lock..if this happens, you can get the lock replaced gratis at the retailer. I bring an extra one to use on my trip just in case. Not sure how the cable ties work..can these be opened by inspectors and then re-secured? If not, they are not useful.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I use the TSA locks, and have not had a problem with them. I also recommend taking a few extra locks with you in case of loss or breakage while traveling.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM

It really doesn't make much difference WHERE you are flying TO since the luggage will be bomb screeened at the departure airport and THAT is where the luggage will be opened.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I've used them going to Europe since our secirity has the TSA key or code to open them, but coming home , I use cable ties since most European and other airports won't have the means to open them without breaking them.

Actually the cable ties are easier than fiddling around with the locks because if someone wants into youur bag, they will get in no matter what you do! I use them mainly to keep the zippers closed!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Ties are good enough. If they really want to steal they may just take the luggage itself.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM

I read somewhere that someone (he said, she said LOL) that they used very large safety pins to hold the tabs of the zippers together on their lugggage. No nailcutter or scissor need to cut cablewires, no problem with broken locks etc. I haven't tried it but it sounded like a good idea (to keep the zippers from opening up).

And yes, one can have their luggage stolen and there certainly have been many reports of airline employees stealing items in luggage. I just don't put anything in my check-in luggage that would give me a heartbreak or cause a big problem if it was stolen.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Years ago in Rome we met a very funny lady from New Zealand. She was on a two month trip. She said that she had way overpacked and had been warned by friends back home to be very careful as people would steal her luggage.

She said, 'it's been almost a month and I am still dragging that all that stuff around - no one has taken a damn thing!'

Nina
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
P_M

LOL, Nina!! A theif isn't going to steal what s/he can't lift.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Nina LOL! The poor dear just should have left that HUGE suitcase somewhere and done a bit of shopping and told her family when she got home "well my friend was right, my luggage got stolen!" Thanks for the good laugh.