Trying to make a Tuscany Hotel Choice

May 12th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Trying to make a Tuscany Hotel Choice

I'm trying to decide between the Relais Vignale in Radda or Castel Bigozzi in Strove.

We plan to travel from Florence and then stay 2 days before heading to Orvieto.

Any opinions?
May 14th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Hi - I was hoping someone with first hand information would reply, but not yet so I'll pass on a friend's impression of Relais Vignale. Ordinarily I wouldn't comment without first hand experience but I really trust this person's judgement and we did stop and tour Relais Vignale and regretted not staying there.

It's a lovely hotel and the dining room is reportedly excellent (my friend, who is a fine cook, raves about it).

Hope this helps (a bit!)

May 14th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Partly this depends on what you want to see. If you are interested in getting a feel for the Chianti countryside, Radda is a better spot, or perhaps something in Castellina. If you are just seeing San Gimignano and Siena, then you seem to be in between them in Strove. I have not been to either hotel, but am booking the Relais for my own trip later this year. I have not heard of the other place.
May 14th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Scates, I did not stay at the hotel in Strove, athough I believe we had a lovely dinner there. We stayed twice very near Strove in a farmhouse stay. Strove is not even a town, really, so you will be quite isolated there. On the other hand, you are well situated in beautiful countryside with easy access to San Gimingnano, Chianti country, Siena, and the lovely towns south of Siena like Montalcino, Pienza, and Montepulciano.

If you want to be able to walk out in the evening near your accommodation, Radda might be better. But if you will be mostly day-tripping and returning after dinner, then Strove is a little farther south and more convenient to southern Tuscany.
May 14th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Author: BuzzyJ
Date: 05/14/2003, 10:40 am
Message: Back in 1997 there was a posting here recommending The Italian Connection (www.italian-connection.com) for walking and culinary tours of Italy. Has anyone used them recently? Are there others you would recommend?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: kazzawary
Date: 05/14/2003, 12:31 pm
Message: I haven't heard of them, but try Living Italy. www.livingitaly.com I have done one of their "Living Italy" tours, and would love to do their "Walking Tour", as the other one was such a great experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: flanneruk
Date: 05/14/2003, 01:16 pm
Message: ATG (www.atg-oxford.co.uk)Follow "find a trip", not "find a trip fast" which uses unhelpful titles for each walk.

Author: Loretta ([email protected])
Date: 05/14/2003, 02:39 pm

My husband & I just got back from Tuscany. We hired a private guide in Florence named Alessandro Cammilli. He was wonderful. A native of Florence, he speaks good english, & knows some of the off the beated path sights. He's very reliable, & very reasonbly priced at $25 per hour for two, $35 per hour for four. He furnishes the transportion, & can take you to Pisa, to the wineries in Tuscany, to good restaurants, to and from the airport, etc. Alessandro is a good italian driver, just don't watch any of the cars when in Florence. Our trip would not have been the same without Alessandro's help. He can even reserve tickets to museums in advance.
You can reach him [email protected]

May 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM

I prefer the Strove location to see more of Tuscany--unless you are really into Chianti. I have had good client reports on that property.

Search this Thread