Trying To Learn The Italian Language

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Diane

Trying To Learn The Italian Language

I have always wanted to learn how to speak Italian. I have several books such as The Italian Self Teaching Guide, etc., as well as tapes - Pimsleur and Berlitz. I took a class in a high school a while ago which blossomed into a small group with the teacher meeting weekly in one of our homes. That lasted for about a year and now it's been almost a year since I've been studying and I miss it so much. I considered taking a class at Parliamo Italiano but I think what I need right now is something much more structured. I'm better in a classroom situation - I feel it enables me to be more disciplined in my studies. I am also considering a continuing education class at The New School or NYU. Does anyone have any thoughts . . . or know of any small study groups or private tutors in New York City? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Ciao tutti.

Diane

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 01:52 PM
elaine

Diane, in NYC I have taken language classes at the 92nd Street Y at very moderate cost.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 01:57 PM
lola

To bolster the lessons, shop, eat and shmooze in Little Italy or around Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. Makes you feel you're in southern Italy--while you practice.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 02:02 PM
santachiara

I feel your pain. In fact, I started out with all the items you did: tapes, grammar books with exercises, classes. Then I finally moved here and I am taking private lessons plus dealing with Italian daily. It's still, for me, the most intellectually challenging thing I have undertaken, especially given my age (early 50s). I would suggest looking into two to four weeks immersion courses in Italy. They are all over, and many are not that expensive. Just plug into a search engine on the web some key words like "Italian language classes."

Also, I don't know what your other language background is, but I have studied French and Spanish molti anni fa, and it both helped and hindered. It helped in understanding the structure, but it sometimes hinders when I fall back to a word in either French or Spanish. A year of studying Italian and to this day I revert to que for che and ventana for finestra. Good luck and don't give up.

P.S. I found the Pimsleur, in retrospect to be the best help.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 02:20 PM
pam

I copied the following from the web about intensive study of Italian: (recommend )"state-operated University for Foreigners of Perugia (Universita Italiana per Stranieri) and the Cultural Center for Foreigners of Florence (Centro Culturale per Stranieri). Both are in that broad region of Italy (Tuscany and Umbria) where the purest form of Italian is said to be spoken." The costs are amazingly low.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Karen

In New York, try calling Casa Italiana for a recommendation for classes. Casa Italiana used to be part of Columbia University, but is now administered by some other organization. It's up in the Columbia neighborhood, which may or may not be convenient for you. But they would probably know about other classes.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Diane

Thank you all for your suggestions. I would love to study Italian in Italy but right now I don't see that as a possibility in the near future. I will definitely check into the other suggestions and still keep the dream of studying in Italy in my mind. Perhaps one day it will become a reality. Anything is possible. Buona Giornata.

Diane