Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 nights in Taormina - itinerary help needed

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Karen

My fiance and I are spending part of our August honeymoon in Taormina. We want to see as much of Sicily as possible, but also want to spend time on the beach while we are there. We have a rental car, and figured we would base ourselves in Taormina and venture out from there. Currently we have Hotel Belvedere booked. Any other hotel recommendations, or sights we should see during our 4 day/4 night time in Sicily?

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:06 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Karen Two places on
the east coast of Sicily, I would not
miss and those are Siracusa and Catania.
Both places are within easy driving
distance of Taormina. If I recall the Belvidere was very close to the public gardens and on the Bagnoli. On the
Corso UImberto, is the La Griglia at
no. 54. Its been a few years, but
it should be very warm there. We were
there once in October and slept all
night with the windows wide open.
Here are a couple of urls to surf for
further information on Catania and Siracusa and Sicilia are:
www.siciliaweb.com/
www.sicilianculture.com/
www.sicilian.net/
www.comune.catania.,it/
www.provincia.catania.it/
www.etnaonline.it/ (Mt. Etna)
www.nuovasicilia.com/ (Pza Armerina
nad roman villa Casales)
www.wel.it/welcome/sicilia/prov.siracusa/
www.nettuno.it/cities/
Good surfing, Richard of LaGrange, IL...

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:35 PM
Joanna

I would also recommend a visit to Etna and Messina and also a visit to the Roman Villa di Casale (near Piazza Armerina) and Noto, a lovely baroque town which is famous for its granitas (icy drink in lemon or coffee flavour).

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Rob McPhail

Hi Karen

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Belvedere two years ago and have wanted to return there ever since.

It is a wonderful little hotel, owned by a French couple and built down a small hillside. The rooms were very nice and the view from the terraces fantastic. As mentioned by Richard the hotel is indeed close to the public gardens and is in a very nice part of the town close to its centre and the ancient theatre. The cable car down to the beach is also nearby.

The hotel has an internet site at:-
http://www.eniware.it/HotelVillaBelvedere_f/ENG/Start.h

Rob

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 08:15 PM
Patrick

Our room at the Belvedere was an end room, huge and spectacular views and a private terrace. It was old, faded, and slightly dowdy, and frankly we couldn't have loved it more -- it was so filled with character. A very nice hotel. I can't make a lot of suggestions for day trips. We stayed there, but then moved on for two nights in Syracuse, one night at Agrigento--a real hightlight, especially eating dinner under the stars at the valley of the temples at Villa Athena, and three nights in Palermo. However, we never did the trip up Etna, which we have regretted. We just lounged around Taormina and did a huge hike up to Castlemolla (sp?)from there. We loved Taormina --to me it is everything Positano and Portofino try to be but aren't.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Karen

Thank you so much, everyone. Your advice is greatly appreciated!