Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide between 3 hotels in Florence!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Andrea

Can any one give me advice/recommendations on the following hotels, i.e. which is in the best location/nicer, etc.? <BR> <BR>Plaza & Luchessi <BR>Brunelleschi <BR>J&J <BR> <BR>Also, any comments on the Carlton Executive in Venice? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>(BTW This forum has been great)

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Linda

My brother went to Florence last August and stayed at the Brunelleschi and said it was really nice. I plan on staying there in April. The Fodors gave it some stars.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Kate

My favourite city! Don't know about the others but the brunelleschi is supposed to be great. Whatever happens, make sure your hotel is situated somewhere between the Duomo and the ponte vecchio and the santa croce, bang in the centre of town. Don't be tempted to stay south of the river, which is mostly residential.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:31 AM
elaine

I stayed at the J & J a couple of years ago. Our room was huge, really, <BR>it could have held 6 full-sized beds with lots of room left over. Modernized bathroom. Location pretty good, about 10-15 minute walk to Duomo or to Santa Croce church. Nice buffet breakfast available. Only drawback was no elevator which I didn't realize before I booked,and didn't consider because the prices were rather high. We were on the 3rd or 4th floor and the staircases were steep and long. Made us think twice about "running up to the room" for a minute. You could ask for a room on a lower floor.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:51 PM
Lauren

I loved the Plaza Luchesi. My room had a view of Santa Croce and the Duomo. We loved our room so much that one night we stayed there for dinner and looked out the window while eating fabulous food! <BR> <BR>The staff was gracious...the room was large and clean with beautiful mahogany furniture. <BR> <BR>The only other hotel I would want to try is the Hermitage - it's supposed to be great too.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 02:33 PM
richard j vicek

Good evenig, Andrea Can only comment on the Carlton Executive. Stayed at the <BR>hotel in the mid 70's just after it had <BR>been remodeled from the Germania, It <BR>is located on the Grand Canal across\ <BR>from the Venice S. L. RR Station. About <BR>15 mins walk to the Ponte Rialto, Vaporetto stops across infront of the <BR>station are major stops for vaporetti. <BR>There are plenty of small shops and <BR>ristorantes especially across the canal <BR>and up the Rio Terra, Lista di Spagna, <BR>in the Pza San Geremia, and the Rio <BR>Terra San Leonardo on the way to the <BR>Rialto. It is about 20 - 25 mins ride on Vaporetto to the Pza S. Marco, walking thru would take about the same <BR>time. Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:09 PM
wendy

I don't stay anywhere in Florence unless it is at the Brunelleschi! Remodeled inside a 12th century church and over Roman ruins...fabulous. <BR>Tell Mario the manager ciao for me! <BR>The location is SO central you can nap fast, shower fast and throw bags you don't want to carry in the door fast! <BR>Just off of the Piazza della Republica.