Reload this Page >

Trying to choose a hotel in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Julia

We have a young child so we need somewhere close to the sites, moderate and were thinking about the following one - <BR><BR>Kilronan House<BR>Harrington<BR>Number 31<BR><BR>Anybody have any experiences with these? We will have a car as well.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Sofia

I think 31 and Kilronan House are owned by the same people.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Liz

I don't know these hotels, but assuming they are in the city centre, I would avoid, at all costs, having a car. Dublin traffic is horrific, and there's no need for a car as you can walk to most everything, and take a cab to everything else. Only get a car for when you're leaving the city.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Catherine

Am not sure about your hotel but will advise strongly to stay away from the Georgian Area. Our family stayed in a absolutely beautiful B&B in a restored Georgian mansion a few blocks from St. Stephen's Green and were kept awake all night by the people clubbing. Every morning while walking back to the city center, we were created my vomit, urine on the walls and used condoms tossed about. And this was from a Fodor's recommendation. Ouch. We were so tired by the time we left Dublin we needed another vacation.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Cindy

We stayed at Kilronan House in March 2000 and were very happy with it. It is owned by Terry Masterson. He was personable and helpful if you needed him to be. The room we had was on the backside and so, it was quiet. The front would have probably been noisy at times with traffic (cars, not foot. It was within easy walking distance of St. Stephen's Green area and Grafton St. and on the other side the canal. We recommend it and did not encounter any problems with bargoers.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Cindy

Just a couple of more thoughts. We also had a car, and once my husband got used to driving on the other side and to my backseat driving, it was fine. It really didn't seem any worse than any US city, such as Boston. We parked at the Kilronan, although they had to park it for us most days in a tight spot next to the hotel. We were able to get around the city and out of the city easily from that location.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Julia

Catherine - what was the name of the place you stayed? Does not sound so great. <BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
hmm

"we were created my vomit urine..."<BR><BR>Just how much did you have to drink, Catherine?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:23 PM
BeenThere

The Arlington ( Nr O'Connell bridge )<BR>& The Grafton Plaza are two good choices.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Catherine

Julia,<BR><BR>I went back and checked our records and the name of the B&B was "Number 31" located at 31 Leeson Close. The rooms were absolutely incredible and the food to die for, but definitely not worth it. When I travel I need my sleep (especially with two kids!) You can look this place up on a city map and know which area to steer clear of. Enjoy Dublin - it's a wonderful city. <BR><BR>As an afternote - my original post should have read "greeted" not "created by . . . ", but I guess you were savvy enough to figure that out. (Note to self, always proof read.) Please let me know if you want any more info on Dublin.<BR><BR><BR>One more thing I feel compelled to warn you about . . . We arranged for our rental car months before our trip to make sure we could get exactly what we wanted. However, when we reached Dublin in our very jetlagged state, we had a fast one pulled on us by a fellow at the Budget Desk who motioned us over and insisted he had our contract, even though it was through Auto Europe. Long story short, the guy was lying through his teeth and we ended up with a lesser car for our ten days for more money! Be really careful. Apparently it's a common scam.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Julia

Catherine - boy am I glad I asked. That is where we were thinking of staying. They gave us a great rate of 165 euros per night.<BR><BR>So you would suggest stay away from St. Stephen's Green area? Or is it closer to Temple Bar?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Jim

Catherine - <BR><BR>What time of year did you go? Number 31 gets great reviews in the Hotel - rants and raves section for Ireland on the Fodor's site. We were thinking of staying there this summer. We got a nice email from the owner. Was the hotel aware of your concerns or did they let you switch rooms?<BR><BR>Maybe you should write a review on the rants and rave section.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:57 AM
gmc

I highly recommend the Kilronan House. Terry, the manager was wonderful. We had a nice room, and when we go back, we will stay there again. Our child was 3 at the time we were there.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Catherine

Our family stayed at #31 at the end of July, 2000. I was surprised too as I had read great reviews. Never again. Everything else about #31 was aces - very plush. I mentioned the problem to some locals and they said since the revival of the Georgian area in Dublin, many clubs had moved into the basements of the buildings. I never mentioned anything to the owner. I thought perhaps the first night was a fluke, but the second night it happened too. By then it was time to head to the airport and I really didn't want to deal with complaining. I just made a mental note never to stay there again and to do greater research in the future. We're heading for Paris next Thursday and the first three questions I asked regarding our apartment were:<BR><BR>1. Is it quiet?<BR>2. Is it quiet?<BR>3. Is it quiet?<BR><BR>And yes, I think I will go to the rants/rave section.<BR><BR>I'm trying to remember exactly how far we were from Stephen's Green, and I don't think it was more than three or four blocks. We were on the opposite side from the HUGE hotel . . . darn it the memory isn't as good as it used to be! I wish I couldl remember the name of it. When I get a chance I'll pull out my files on Ireland which are in no man's land right now.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Julia

Thanks!<BR><BR>I think I may go for the Kilronan House then. They gave us a rate of 76 euro/per person. No one seems to have mentioned noise on that one!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:23 AM
pat

You really don't want a car in Dublin. Not worth the expense. Most tourist scenery within walking/bus/cab distance. Parking looked very difficult. Suggest if Dublin is where you are arriving that you go into the city, enjoy your stay, then pick up a car on your way out of Dublin to other parts of Ireland. <BR>When there we stayed at the Jury's hotel which was right across the street from Christ Church. Not fancy but well-located.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Julia

We will be ending our trip in Dublin and flying home from there so we will have the car.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:19 AM
Stephanie

We stayed at Number 31 in July 2001 and had a great stay. The rooms were excellent and very beautifully decorated. Our room was on the street level and looked our onto the street and we didn't note any noise the entire evening and it was a Friday night. I would give some more consideration to Number 31. Noel, the owner, was exceptionally hospitable and even invited us to stop at his family's home on our way to Galway. We also had a car and the B&B staff took care of parking it and getting it for us when we needed it. Very convienient.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:30 AM
IAN

165 EUROS A NIGHT IS A GREAT RATE? I DON'T THINK SO...SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED DEAR. I HAVE FOUND RATES BETTER THAN THAT IN THE LARGE FULL SERVICE HOTELS LIKE HILTON THAT ALSO INCLUDE FULL BREAKFAST. AND I AM SURE THAT I WILL NOT BE GREETED BY VOMIT IN THE LOBBY OF THE HILTON.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:44 AM
Julia

The Kilronan House has given us a rate of 76 euros per person. That's a little bit less than Number 31 and yes it does include taxes and breakfast (and parking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -