Try Amsterdam!

Aug 16th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Try Amsterdam!

For those of you who are a little reticent about being in a country where English is not a first language like GB, consider Amsterdam. Almost everyone under the age of 50 speaks English fluently even using idioms. We were so impressed sometimes forgetting we were not in an English-speaking country. The reason is that the english language is mandatory and is taken by all students as long as in school. Plus it's a wonderful,magical place.
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:54 PM

We haven't found language a problem anywhere in Western Europe.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:19 AM

We had quite a challenge in Spain. Even in Madrid, many locals could not speak English. We found it very challenging at the train stations and in some restaurants. It is wise to know Spanish if you are going to travel on your own in Spain. When we travelled throughout the Netherlands, we had a similar experience as lucky03. Scandinavia is another place where everyone speaks English very well.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM

Well it is increadable that people in USA still belive that American-English is the only language on Earth.
I have been travelling for 17 years now, and I know that it is by learning at least a few words in the language from the country I am in will get me better contact with people, find the bargains, take a local bus......... and so on. Okey by now I speak Swedish, Danish, Norwegan, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, understand some Italian, Malay, and Thai. But this is only after hard work trying to learn more about the culture of the country I am in...... and a language is a major part of the culture. So why not buy a language course before you go on vacation????? Just by being able to say Good Morning, will open many doors......
I have never stopped to wounder about the American Tourists in the world, that belive that the only way to make a foreiger that don't understand English is to talk to him LOUDER ! ! in English....
It is really not so hard to learn just a few words !!!!!!!!!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Maira

I84--- even more ignorant than believing that American-English is the only language on Earth is to make such generalization about "people in USA" based on lucky03's travel preferences.

Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:48 PM

Sorry Maria, but I have been out travelling for 17 years...... all over South America, Latin America, Europe, Some in Africa, Some in Asia...... and it is really increadible how many Americans I have met that only knows two languages, American-English and LOUD AMERICAN-ENGLISH if you don't understand the first time.....
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Maira

Well, in which of those 17 languages my name, Maira, translates as Maria?

Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM

People that claim they speak a dozen or more languages are invariably monolingual.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:09 PM

Or just trying harder to learn smueller.
but I only speak 7 and understand 3 more, and if you know something about languages you should know that Swedish-Danish-Norwegan are very similar, and belongs to the same group as German, Dutch and English..... Spanish, Italian and French are also very similar. I am sorry to have called you Maria MAIRA
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:12 PM
gb

If I'm the gb you are referring to, I think you misunderstood me. I don't mind being in places where other languages are spoken. I look forward to it.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:50 PM

184wrk99

You might want to read up on the history of settlement of North America, to understand how a single language came to be the dominant tongue on a continent that is several times the size of Europe. Try Robert McNeil's "The Story of English" - for some interesting reading on the subject.

I agree that learning to speak a few words of another language is important. However, learning to use those words correctly can be a challenge, as your own post shows (e.g., 'increadable' instead of 'incredible.') Learning another language is important, but by no means as easy as you infer.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:40 AM

l84wrk99, you are just amazing.

Us stupid people should just stop traveling.