Troy Tour from Istanbul

Search

Troy Tour from Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troy Tour from Istanbul

I am hoping to arrange a tour for myself and two kids (ages 10 and 12) from Istanbul to Troy. I am afraid to drive! So we would need transportation there and back, along with guides at Troy and Gallipoli. My son is enthralled with history, so a recommendation for a top-notch guide would be much appreciated. One last question -- we will go to Cappadocia next, so do we need to go back to Istanbul first and fly there? Doesn't look like there is any way to fly from Canakkale to Kayseri.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Hi

This doesn't answer your question but to be honest there's not that much to look at in Troy. Your son would enjoy Ephesus more. Connections to incredible Cappodocia might be easier from there.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM

I agree about Ephesus. Bergama (Pergamum) is also amazing.

Do you want a car and driver with a guide?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

I know, I know. I have spent 4 months trying to talk my son out of going to Troy, but he's a history nut and he simply can't accept it. We are planning to go to the other mentioned places as well, but he is simply intent on going to Troy and Gallipoli. He is only 12, so you would think I should have more influence. But he never asks for anything and he has read the Illiad, The Odyssey, etc. in original translation, has a special interest in this area, has read articles on books on the site and ruins, etc. He is not expecting a big wooden horse (although we understand that there is a comical one). So, we'd like a knowledgeable expert guide for the area. My daughter and I will be patient with him on this, but we will need a really expert guide. (Otherwise, it will be like last year when my son couldn't help but correct the guide at Pompei who kept giving inaccurate information.) Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:06 AM

But do you want to drive there and back from Istanbul?
Do you want to see the battlefields as well?

If so, take a look at the driving part of this report; you can contact the agent I used to arrange my car and driver; I am sure they will be able to set you up with a competent guide. They do a lot of consulate work, driving dignitaries around, etc.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34695639
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:21 AM

In all honesty Troywas the most underwhelming site I saw in Turkey - there's not much there.

Gallipoli was rather moving, but not (IMHO) worth the effort (unless your emotionally attached to the ANZACs).

As people have said Ephesus knocks it into a cocked hat (and that's not a patch on Termesos).