Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trouble Deciding Between All Baltics Trip or Combination of Tallinn/Stockholm

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading in 4 weeks. Will have 8 nights in total and Iím debating either spending it all in the 3 main capitals (Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius) or just seeing Tallinn and then visiting Stockholm. Would do 5 nights in Stockholm and 3 in Tallinn or spread the 8 nights across Vilnius/Tallinn/Riga.

To people who have been to all these places any advice? For me the most important thing is just beautiful cities in terms of architecture and general feel. Activities like museums are also important and I do have interest in Soviet history. In Stockholm the ABBA museum, Skansen, Vasa, Nobel museums look awesome.

Trakai in Vilnius particularly interests me, and I hear the archipelago in Stockholm is beautiful. The Baltics in general seem very underrated.

Itís a hard choice! Any advice? The only Nordic capital Iíve been to is Reykjavik.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by blaire951
Heading in 4 weeks. Will have 8 nights in total and Iím debating either spending it all in the 3 main capitals (Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius) or just seeing Tallinn and then visiting Stockholm. Would do 5 nights in Stockholm and 3 in Tallinn or spread the 8 nights across Vilnius/Tallinn/Riga.

To people who have been to all these places any advice? For me the most important thing is just beautiful cities in terms of architecture and general feel. Activities like museums are also important and I do have interest in Soviet history. In Stockholm the ABBA museum, Skansen, Vasa, Nobel museums look awesome.

Trakai in Vilnius particularly interests me, and I hear the archipelago in Stockholm is beautiful. The Baltics in general seem very underrated.

Itís a hard choice! Any advice? The only Nordic capital Iíve been to is Reykjavik.
Weíve only been on a cruise to all three of those cities and were able to spend the night in a hotel in Stockholm. Hands down I would
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kcicconetti
Weíve only been on a cruise to all three of those cities and were able to spend the night in a hotel in Stockholm. Hands down I would
So sorry I hit the wrong button, Stockholm would absolutely be my first choice! Itís incredibly beautiful, clean and so many places of interest. I would love to go back.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:15 PM
kja

If it's a deciding factor, 5 nights is just about perfect for Stockholm, particularly given your stated interests.

Another thing to consider: Stockholm is, for many of us, easier to reach than Vilnius, Riga, or Tallinn, so another option would be to defer Stockholm for a trip that would include Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, or other parts of that region of the world.

I don't think you have a bad choice, just a difficult one!
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
If it's a deciding factor, 5 nights is just about perfect for Stockholm, particularly given your stated interests.

Another thing to consider: Stockholm is, for many of us, easier to reach than Vilnius, Riga, or Tallinn, so another option would be to defer Stockholm for a trip that would include Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, or other parts of that region of the world.

I don't think you have a bad choice, just a difficult one!
Yeah, that's a big consideration for me. I could see myself going to Copenhagen and Stockholm on another trip, but going to Vilnius or Riga if I end up skipping it might be harder to visit again. From a pure sights standpoint, Stockholm might edge out Vilnius honestly. It's a super tough choice.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 03:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd do the three Baltics while you still can (Putin). We liked Riga a lot but probably only worth 3 nights tops.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 08:42 AM

How do you intend to get around? That will make a difference. Of the cities you mentioned, I have only been to Vilnius. It's gorgeous and one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. The soviet era museum that was the KGB headquarters was extremely sobering. What is especially chilling is the fact that you can easily walk here from the center of the city, and the Soviets were murdering people here in the center of everyday city life. Trakai is definitely worth a day trip.

Here is my old trip report. Lithuania--Fodor's 1st trip report ever I think--beautiful Baltic Sea, charming old towns, wonderful wedding & a lovely rural country
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by julies
How do you intend to get around? That will make a difference. Of the cities you mentioned, I have only been to Vilnius. It's gorgeous and one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. The soviet era museum that was the KGB headquarters was extremely sobering. What is especially chilling is the fact that you can easily walk here from the center of the city, and the Soviets were murdering people here in the center of everyday city life. Trakai is definitely worth a day trip.

Here is my old trip report. Lithuania--Fodor's 1st trip report ever I think--beautiful Baltic Sea, charming old towns, wonderful wedding & a lovely rural country
Between the Nazis and the Commies, the 20th Century history of Lithuania is one of wholesale decimation. Not many survived.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I'd do the three Baltics while you still can (Putin). We liked Riga a lot but probably only worth 3 nights tops.
I probably only have 6 nights in total so was thinking of just doing Tallinn and Vilnius (2 nights in Tallinn and 4 in Vilnius). Could also spend 1 night as a transit and see Riga. But based on what Iíve read Lithuania and Estonia interest me the most

Would 2 nights Tallinn and 4 nights Vinius make sense? Or 2/1/3 T/R/V
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by julies

Either plane or bus. If I choose just Vilnius and Tallinn then I will fly between them on Air Baltic. If I try to see all 3 capitals in 6 nights then bus I guess
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For planning I'd look at rome2rio

Latvia has a strong culture of group singing, if you can get to an open air concert then go.
They also have probably the last language in Europe to be printed. I forget the date but we are talking well after the US was founded. As a result their interest in the written word (especially after the Russians left) is intense.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Ultimately decided to spend time in Stockholm. But I plan to go back in the winter for Christmas markets and so it will be nice to visit Vilnius then