Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trouble buying online tickets for Alcazar Seville

Trouble buying online tickets for Alcazar Seville

Mar 25th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Trouble buying online tickets for Alcazar Seville

I've been trying for 3 days to purchase tickets for the Alcazar in Seville for Monday, May 21st, through their website. It just won't accept either of my Visa cards. I've contacted the credit card companies, and they say the purchase is not being denied by them, it just is not going through. I've looked at a couple of sites that sell tickets with an additional fee, but they do not have tickets for any Mondays or for the Royal Apartments. I was trying to not do a tour, but if that is what I have to do, any suggestions for a good tour. Any suggestions, help??? Thanks
Mar 30th, 2018, 06:26 AM

Do you have a MasterCard? Try that. I had the same problem with my visa but my MC worked fine.
Mar 30th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by efarr99 View Post
Do you have a MasterCard? Try that. I had the same problem with my visa but my MC worked fine.
I didn't have a master card, but found a friend with one, and yes, worked perfectly. Thanks
May 7th, 2018, 05:41 AM

For others having this issue, I want to let you know neither of our credit cards were accepted online--Visa or Mastercard. We were there a few days ago and the lines were very long and slow. We only had three days in Seville. The first day, we did not attempt a visit as it was pouring and a thunderstorm. The next day, we checked the lines early in the day and they were so long we decided to wait and go later, since I had read it was less busy after 2 pm. We ended up getting there much later than planned due to getting lost and stopping for a delicious lunch. Since it's open until 7 pm we got in line anyway, just before 5 pm, as the line was indeed shorter. However, we were turned away before we reached the front because they said they were full for the day. Went to the tourist info office hoping to buy tickets there for the next day, which was our last chance. They do not sell the tickets in any store and she told us to buy online. We explained the website would not take our credit card but she just shrugged. So the next morning we got in line about an hour after opening (10:30). We resolved to wait hours. After half an hour, we had not moved an inch and there were hundreds in line ahead of us. Then a tour guide walked by offering tours in English, for 22 euro, which I think is about double. We were happy to pay it and jump to the head of the line. It was a good tour, only an hour long, but we could then stay as long as we wanted afterwards. The gardens were beautiful and we spent a long time enjoying them. In general, Seville was packed, so I think if you go in May it would be worth it to buy the tickets online through a tour company ahead of time. If you buy them without a tour, I think (not sure) you may end up waiting in line a long time anyway, because even people with tickets in hand were in the same queue as us and were not separated out until near the front.
May 16th, 2018, 11:58 AM

We used Concepción Delgado(?) if I remember correctly. She had us purchase our tickets online in advance and then I think the tour was about 10 €. We were there in March so not much in the way of lines. Even the cathedral line was fairly short. As I recall,she did purchase tickets for others in our group . They may have had the same problem with the online system and US credit cards. She gave a very nice tour of the Alcazar as well as a city tour. We had trouble with many , many Spanish sights and us credit cards, the Alcazar, Alhambra, bus tickets etc. You name it. It was a hassle with Spanish companies and US cards. After an initial call to cc company, we still had trouble and were also told that they were not denying the charge. It was quite frustrating, but it all worked out in the end. I had the cc company representative stay on the line with me while I attempted to put the charges through. or just kept trying. Eventually they all went through.
May 17th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Just booked an apartment for Semana Santa (April 15-22, 2019) in old town, Seville. I am so excited! But also wondering if we will be out of luck seeing some of the iconic sights - as the city will likely be crowded.

Any suggestions of hints for making the most of our time there will be much appreciated.
May 17th, 2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
Just booked an apartment for Semana Santa (April 15-22, 2019) in old town, Seville. I am so excited! But also wondering if we will be out of luck seeing some of the iconic sights - as the city will likely be crowded.

Any suggestions of hints for making the most of our time there will be much appreciated.
You have a year to plan. You’ll be fine.

Search this Thread