Tropea - getting there from Messina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving around Sicily for two weeks, we thought we'd leave the car in Messina and travel to Naples by train. Easy-peasy. Until I said to myself, but we're so close to Tropea! It's not the easiest place to get to by transport, from what I've seen, not to mention what to do with your luggage while touring around. The cost of the ferry with a car is quite high on one hand; on the other, would you trust a "private driver" with all your luggage for half a day. Or would it be better to spend one night and take the train the next morning. I would appreciate some insights. TIA.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:02 PM

You plan to drop off your car at Messina, take a train from Messina Centrale to Tropea, spend a night there and go on by ttrai to Naples the next evening, may be Tropea dp 16.04 - Naples ar 20.17. Right?
But where is the problem?
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks. I cannot read your message in its entirety because there is a graphic in front that I can't get rid of. You said after dropping car at Messina, take a train __________________________[spend?] a night there. I guess there's no problem then.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, it was a problem with the content blocker. Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 27th, 2023, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Travelling from Sicily (Taormina) to Tropea for one night

Originally Posted by neckervd
You plan to drop off your car at Messina, take a train from Messina Centrale to Tropea, spend a night there and go on by ttrai to Naples the next evening, may be Tropea dp 16.04 - Naples ar 20.17. Right?
But where is the problem?
I thought about your question "But where is the problem?" whilst traveling to Tropea in May and decided I would come back here to report that all my concerns were unfounded as the trains in Italy are for the most part FANTASTIC!

The only "challenge" I had was that my preferred departure time Taormina TO Messina met a ferry and train that arrived in Tropea around 16.30 and that was far too late considering I only had one night there. Instead, I opted to get a private driver to take me to Messina to catch the earlier ferry/train that arrived around 14.30 which gave me a couple extra hours. It was well worth it. The next day, my train to Lamezia Terme was around 12.30 and my express train from there to Naples was at 15:00, arriving at Naples Centrale just after 18:00. Arriving at rush hour was not ideal as a taxi cost me 34€ to get to Chiaia, so it was an expensive detour, but I LOVED it!