Trolley Sleeved Rolling Carry-On?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a recommendation for an undersea carry-on with a sleeve that slides over my regular carryon. Do you have one? What brand? Where to purchase? I have a Samsonite Spinner and would LOVE for a bag that attaches into the handle and does not slip off. Ideally it would have the ability to also roll on it’s own. Thoughts? I appreciate the input!
Tina
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 02:01 PM

I have an older model of this, which seems to have everything you want. (Mine doesn't have the USB port, which I think is a silly feature.) I'm quite happy with it. I use it alone for short trips.

https://www.ebags.com/product/samson...uctid=10589947

Last edited by bvlenci; Apr 16th, 2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 02:18 PM

This post should be in the Tip and Ideas forum, not Europe. But, underseat bags do not necessarily fit under your seat based on plane seats configuration. In a 3-across, the window seat has the most room and might accommodate the 15" bag. The middle seat usually has a compartment bolted to floor, which pushes the leg between middle and aisle seat far enough over to not allow an underseat bag under an aisle seat. You are better to not get a fixed wheeled one but rather a totally soft sided tote bag that can be stuffed under the row in front of you. Look at Lipault soft sided bags, Vera Bradley and the like, etc., or perhaps a wheeled backpack (if you insist in the wheels) which usually run narrower than those squarish "underseat" bags which quickly became useless almost as fast as they came out. Sorry for the bad news, you could put it in above storage but perhaps you're thinking of a larger bag there anyway.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I found having wheels on two (both) bags did not really work very well, the couple times I tried it.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 04:53 PM

I agree with Suze. The best combo in my view would be a day pack with a sleeve to fit over the handle of your rolling bag.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a lipault tote that slides over the handle of my 20 inch roller bag. It works perfect. I love the zippered sleeve.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Samsonite weighs seven pounds empty! That's more than my main bag.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 08:42 PM

I use a Tom Bihn bag called the Co-Pilot. It looks small but is uniquely organized and holds so much! It has truly changed the way I travel. There is a larger version called the Pilot that may be the size you are looking for. You can wear it easily on your shoulder or unzip the back pocket to slide over the handle extension of your rolling suitcase. Either bag fits easily under any seat and leaves ample room for your feet. The bags are pricey but so well-made they are guaranteed to last a long time. The company has fantastic customer service and stands behind all their products. I can’t recommend them highly enough.
https://www.tombihn.com/products/co-...nt=16396847751
available online only. I have no relationship to this company other than being a customer for the last 2+ years and have used them for 9 trips already. The bags still look like new.

Last edited by elnap29; Apr 16th, 2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 05:31 AM

https://www.lipault-usa.com/homfpdpr Also look at ebags and amazon. I have a large tote from them with the sleeve and love it but am only finding the med not the large.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 05:34 AM

https://www.lipault-usa.com/bags/tot...sz=12&start=16 check amazon and ebags also. Only finding the med tote.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:25 AM

Actually, the link I posted was for the wrong bag, although it's very similar. Mine was a Travelon brand:

https://www.ebags.com/product/travel...uctid=10205631

It looks like a twin of the Samsung, and also weighs 7 lbs. I've never considered it heavy, maybe because it's so small that even full I can easily carry it in one hand. I've never put on top of another bag. On short trips, I take only this little bag, and on longer trips I take a larger carry-on bag. (I often check my carry-on bags, though.)

It does fit under most seats.

It has several little compartments inside, which I don't consider a plus. Also, the sleeves for shoes are child-sized. All in all, though, it's very convenient. At this moment, it's already packed for a weekend trip; otherwise, I would weigh it out of curiosity.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:29 AM

I also have a little duffel bag with a sleeve, that I sometimes perch on top of my suitcase. I use it to carry shoes, rain jackets, etc., when I'm traveling with my husband, and put all our other stuff in the carry-on bag. You can usually find these in any supermarket. It doesn't have wheels, of course, which you said you wanted. I have a duffel bag with wheels, but I found it a bit useless. It won't stand upright, and falls over whenever you take your hand off it. It protrudes too much laterally when I put it on top of a suitcase, keeping in mind that my suitcases are all small.

Last edited by bvlenci; Apr 17th, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
duffel bag with wheels ... won't stand upright, and falls over whenever you take your hand off it. It protrudes too much laterally when I put it on top of a suitcase

Ditto. My experience exactly with a new rolling duffel I thought was going to be great (lesson - don't buy luggage online!).
The other time I tried 2 rollers together it was a small 18" TravelPro which because of the wheels/frame/handle was fairly useless really, heavy, awkward not enough space.

I suggest one rolling bag and a soft-sided something with the sleeve so it sits securely on the main bag.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Might find something here - www.baggallini.com

I have one that has a sleeve.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you find a bag you like but it doesn’t have a sleeve, you can buy a Luggage Bungee to attach it securely to the other bag.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
If you find a bag you like but it doesn’t have a sleeve, you can buy a Luggage Bungee to attach it securely to the other bag.
Yes, I have one of those. It works, but a sleeve is a lot quicker. This matters when you have to disassemble the bags (on the plane, on the train, etc.) I would only use the luggage bungee if there's no other choice.