Reload this Page >

Trips from Naples

Search

Trips from Naples

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 02:50 PM
Rhonda

Trips from Naples

I just booked a ticket to Italy in February. Friends of mine are living in Naples and I can stay with them some of the time, to cut down on expenses. I've never ventured south of Rome so I would love to hear your suggestions on the best things to see for 11 days. I love history and could use some relaxation as well. Thanks

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 04:53 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Rhonda <BR>Being in February, would strongly suggest SICILY. <BR>In February in Naples you can expect <BR>and also in Sicily a high temp. of a <BR>approx. aver. of 60 deg f. low of 50, <BR>about 6 to 7 hrs of sunshine and about <BR>2" of rain. Take a run to your local <BR>book seller and look over throughly a <BR>copy of Eyewitness Travel Guide, SICILY <BR>also back surf into this site for all <BR>information available on Sicily. If <BR>you want a coupleof web sites to surf <BR>drop me a line and will return. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 05:28 PM
Patsy Klontz

Rhonda, <BR>I am leaving a week from tomorrow for five days in Rome and then another four or five based out of Naples. We also have friends there. They have been scouting out some sights for us, and I will report back to you in a couple of weeks. If you like, jot down my email, so we can be in contact once I am back just in case your posting has disappeared. Patsy

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:28 AM
Howard

Just int he immediate vicinity of Naples, there is the city itself, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Mt. Vesuvius, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. I was there last November for about 9 days, and theses sites filled up the time nicely. Depending on your likes and dislikes, these places present a wide variety all within close proximity. <BR> <BR>Sicily is fine, but you could not save $$$ by staying with your friends.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:04 PM
Rhonda

Dear Howard or anyone else who could help. Are there museums or other inside things to do in the places you suggest if it is raining terribly? Last year I was in London at that time and it did rain but there are lots of things to do in spite of the weather.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 01:17 PM
Walter

Rhonda: If you love history and museums you might want to pick-up the "Blue Guide Southern Italy". IMO the best guidebook for historical sites & museums. <BR> I posted a daytrip to Paestum from Naples here, if you're interested bring it up in a search under Paestum my post is titled Paestum Naples. Or e-mail me if you can't find it. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 01:27 PM
Marilyn Ham

Naples has an excellent museum with many of the things taken from Pompeii.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 01:34 PM
Howard

Hello again - <BR> <BR>Two good museums in Naples are the Capodimante art museum and the archeology museum (mentioned above), and the royal palace. These are places where you can be indoors for 2 or 3 hours at a clip. You could walk around and shop/eat/go to smalle indoor activities of course. <BR> <BR>Pompeii, Capri, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast are places where one wants to be outdoors. At any time of year, there should not be too many completely rainy days. Take an umbrella! <BR> <BR>The other places I metn

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 03:21 PM
wendy

The city of Naples is wonderful - it's vibrant, warm, chaotic, and full of cheap, good food! Spend lots of time walking around, especially on Spacanapoli and Via Toledo. Eat pizza and sfogliatella. Have a great time.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 05:17 AM
Roberta

Rhonda, from Naples, don't miss: Sorrento, Positano, Ravello...you will love them!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:19 AM
mk

Paestum!!! sorry if its already been mentionedn no time to look trough the entire thread right now

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:28 AM
mk

Forgot to mention this <BR>Try this website: gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ <BR>It's about names but ignore that. From the options at top choose "regioni" Then pick the regions youre interested in,for example Campania. You may find material that will help you decide where you would like to go near Naples.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:00 PM
xxx

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:14 PM
nancy

Rhonda, <BR>Check out the thread Dona posted, <BR>Dona Returns Again from Naples, Rome and Places Inbetween. <BR>Nancy

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Phyllis

Dear Rhonda: <BR>Just returned from southern Italy. South of Rome is wonderful. It's the Real Thing! Recommend Sicily very strongly. Along with those areas already mentioned (Pompeii,etc., which are wonderful) you should go way down south for the Italy of the Italians. You won't be sorry.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 04:40 AM
Cheryl

I suggest you spend a day in Capri. The trip getting there is unbelieveable. Great shopping (lots of local wares) and interesting eating. Try to get a boat ride into the grotto also. Lots of great picture taking!