Notices

Trip with Kids: Burgundy or Dordogne?

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip with Kids: Burgundy or Dordogne?

We are off to visit my mom in Luxembourg in June. It will be me, my wife, our then 7 yr-old, and our then 2 yr-old. We have been making these simi-annual trips since my wife was pregnant with our second. We have done Normandy, Brugge, London, numerous day trips from Luxembourg, Provence, and Paris.

Right now we are looking at leaving Waco on 6/21 arriving Luxembourg the next day (which will be a Thursday). We want to spend a couple of days in Luxembourg going to the resturants we like, listening to the evening band performances on the Place, and going to the market. It looks like mom will be returning to the States after almost three years this fall, so this is our last time in Luxembourg.

The Sunday after we arrive will be a travel day. Right now, I am thinking about going to Burgundy. If so, we would spend Monday-Thursday there, and go on to Paris on Thrusday or Friday (after two stays in Paris, we still need to hit the Orangerie if it is open and the Carnavalet). WE will fly out of CDG on 7/2.

The other option is to fly from Waco to Bordeaux and spend a week in Dordogne. I think our 7 yr-old would enjoy this more. Hell, I really think all of us might enjoy this more. How much more, I do not know. Plus, like I stated above, we would like to go to Luxembourg one more time.

Finally, there is that little part of me saying the we should go explore England a little more. Maybe Germany. So much of our time has been spent in France, but that is what I love (the rest of the family is indifferent).

My wife wants to be some place where we will be comfortable enough speaking to locals (France or England), but she every once in awhile says something about Germany. My son wants to see castles, art, and a science museum. I am feeling a bit conflicted.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

If you like France and the rest of the family is indiffferent, then, by all means, go to France. We are planning a trip to the Dordogne this spring, precisely because there is somnething for us all there: prehistoric stuff for the little (10 yrs old) ones, medieval warfare, mayhem and gore for the teen, and food and beauty for the adults. I think Bordeaux has wonders more geared to adult tastes.
But, no matter what you do, I bet it will be fun!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Go with your heart. Besides, the Dordogne seems to me to be the best for everyone. I spent 4 days with my husband 2 summers ago, and could've easily done more. It's perfect for kids of all ages-- I agree with the earlier poster -- prehistoric caves, castles galore, wonderful outdoor activities along the river, great food and ambience -- makes it ideal.
Just my 2 cents,
Paule
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM

While Burgundy's a lovely area, I think your brood would be far happier in the Dordogne. Take them to the PrehistoParc and le Thot and at least one cave; visit the castles of Beynac and Castelnaud; go to Le Grand Roc and let them learn how to throw a spear; go on a canoe ride down the Dordogne; take them to Le Chai in Limeuil for amazing ice cream............there's loads and loads for kids to do, an dplenty to keep the parents happy, too.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I'm a big fan of Burgundy, but I agree with St-Cirq that the Dordogne would be more suitable for your group.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I certainly appreciate the perspective.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Topping becuase someone else had similar questions.