Search

Trip update

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip update

I know I'm only FIVE months late (haha!) but I had a fantastic trip to Ireland in February, and finally got my trip update and photos posted to a live site.

FYI -- this was more of a social visit, for my son to spend time with his grandparents. I'm a single parent, and clearly the fact that I'm willing to travel internationally with children doesn't hold me back from my love of travel! We spent most of our time in and around Waterford, and my son and I took a day trip to Dublin. I took about 800 photos over the course of the week, but in the album are about 75 of the nicest ones I took.

Warmly,
Liz

Journal: http://ozmum.typepad.com/blog/2006/0...and_day_1.html

Photos:
http://ozmum.typepad.com/photos/ireland/index.html
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I think I remember your post for a hotel to stay with a baby. I am deligted you had a nice trip from your website. Dublin is really not dangerous or scary is it?! Its very safe for a mother and child.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and what beautiful photo's!!! My Best, Joan
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Siobhan:

No, Dublin was wonderful! There were lots of other women walking around with prams, just like they do in any other city.

Granted, I didn't venture further than the bus tour, but even sitting in the train station was fine.

Joan -- thank you!! I look back at the photos fondly. Sometimes it's hard to believe I was actually 'there'! I'm hoping to go back next year for another visit.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Spend more time in Dublin and some outside areas of the country. People are very open when you have children here and you will not be ignored but rather helped in my opinion. If you struggle with a push chair on buses etc someone aleays helps...I do for others myself. The Zoo in the Phoenix park is fantastic for kids and adults alike and there are places child friendly to stay the night. Sounds like a lovely trip
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Siobhan:

Ahh, I guess I should have clarified that I only ended up spending a day in Dublin.

I spent most of the trip in Waterford and the surrounding areas, doing little day trips.

I do intend to visit the zoo when I return. I heard a lot of people comment on how lovely it is. I think next time I will also fly into Dublin and out of Shannon.. that way I can see more of the country. From Waterford, my understanding is both airports are equal distance.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:36 AM

The zoo has been revamped over the uyears and I must say really fun tfor kids and adults...They were getting a bad rap a few years back when they painted the penguin area and put them back in. The next day all were dead bar 1 or two...they never checked the bloody paint and basically poisoned them. Needl;ess to say they have totally re vamped the zoo in years since and its run very well and fun for kids.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed your pictures especially.

I'm heading over in late August with a friend, and the zoo is definitely on our list. I've heard good things about it, and we usually make it a point to see the zoo if the city we're visiting has one, so Dublin will be no exception.

Can't wait - only 5 weeks to go!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

sweetbippity - you'll have a fabulous time. Without a doubt, my trip was the highlight of my life.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM

Thanks, emilid - I have no doubt you'll be right! This is my dream trip for sure.