Dublin accomodations and itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an inexpensive flight roundtrip from LAX to Dublin leaving April 3 and returning April 10. I am traveling solo and will be using public transportation. Would it make sense to stay outside the city, maybe near Dun Laoghaire or Bray? I found some less expensive B&B's in these areas but am concerned it may be too far from Dublin and other sights to take a bus or train. I would also like to see the West coast (maybe take a rail tour to Galway and the cliffs?) Or do I have enough time (5 full days) to split my time between the Dublin area and another city?
Thanks for any help!
Jean
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Dun Loughaire would probably work, Bray is even further, no reason to stay that far. There are a couple of Dublin locals on here that can give you excellent advice.

There is plenty to see in and around dublin for five days. Getting to the west coast and back by train and other public transit would be a two day trip. You would have to catch a bus to Doolin from Galway for the cliffs.

Another option would be something like the three day Paddywagon tours: http://www.paddywagontours.com/all.html
They are pretty inexpensive and you cover a lot of ground in a hurry. You would at least get a glimpse of other parts of the country. ...Oops, just realized they don't start running until May. There may be some options with other tour companies.

Not much help I guess. Like I said, there are lots of things to do just outside of Dublin ... Newgrange, Powerscourt, Wicklow Mtns, Glendalough etc. Days trips are available to all of those.

Bill
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:44 AM

There is no reason/sense for you to stay so far outside Dublin in your situation. I would like to be near the centre of things when I am on my own and Bray is too far. What is your price range for hotels/B&B? You will be able to get something closer.

As well any transport outside the city leaves from the city centre. I did not see anything about the Paddy Wagon Tour being closed in April so give them a shoudt at: http://www.paddywagontours.com/. I could be wrong buit a good idea from Bill for Solo travellers. They even do a Christmas tour.

5 days you could do Dublin and then get a bus/train to Galway and do some time there as well.

GIve some more detail and I will post more info. Oh I live in Dublin so I can refer you to some places if you give me a price range. Lots of others here have good places to reccommend.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Siobhan,

Are you sure you're old enough to be handing out advice like this? :-"

Jim
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill and Siobhan for the quick replies! Okay, I think I have decided to either spend all of my time in Dublin and do 1 or 2 day trips, Or possibly spend the first 2 nights in Dublin, bus/train to Galway for the next 2 nights, and back to Dublin for the rest of my time.(I know I will love Ireland and will just have to make another trip to see what I missed this time!) Am I being unrealistic to hope for a place to stay under 60 euros a night? I am obviously not looking for luxury, just clean and somewhat convenient to sights and transportation. Thanks again for your help!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM

Ha! Very funny...definately old enough but pass for late 20's...18 is a long push

Carryonbaggage, try these two websites:
www.laterooms.com
www.smoothhound.com
also try www.discoverireland.ie

60 is tough but what about a hostel? SOme I think have private rooms try

http://www.hostelireland.com/index.p...=googleadwords

http://www.hostels-ireland.com/

Enjoy

s