Reload this Page >

Trip to Spain & Portugal-questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Michaelyn

We are going to Spain & Portugal in May and renting a car in Seville. We plan to explore Granada and southern Spain before heading to the Algarve and Lisbon. Anyone had experience renting a car in Spain and dropping off in Portugal? We want the freedom of a car, but hear so many horror stories of being pulled over at the border and given a $200 speeding ticket. The other option would be to drop the car back in Seville and take the bus to Lagos and then Lisbon. Any suggestions would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>We are also looking for recommendations for hotels in Seville, Granada, the Ronda area and Lisbon. Nothing too pricey. We plan to stay in Salema at the place recommended by Rick Steves. <BR> <BR>Has anyone golfed in southern Spain or Portugal? We're wondering what the green fees would be. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help! <BR>Michaelyn

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 04:09 AM
c.p.

the office of information and tourism can give you hotels, maps etc in English and explain. It's better to rent the car here in USA it will be cheaper. The south of spain is where all millioners go, so golf...may be expensive but info. & tourism have that information. try:www.tourspain.es or www.bancotel.es (hotels)"bonos de hotel" (50%discounts) <BR>(tickes)you must buy 5 and can used them anywhere in Spain (call/or write and they will explain it)also in NY 212-265-8822 /fax 212-265-8864 tourist office. Gas is very expensive in Spain.(and europe. traffic <BR>tickets are very expensive min.$200./300 <BR>for speeding ticket ALL OVER SPAIN (my brother got one last summer when he was taking me to the airport in Madris, he lives there)

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 04:10 AM
cpyounger

the office of information and tourism can give you hotels, maps etc in English and explain. It's better to rent the car here in USA it will be cheaper. The south of spain is where all millioners go, so golf...may be expensive but info. & tourism have that information. try:www.tourspain.es or www.bancotel.es (hotels)"bonos de hotel" (50%discounts) <BR>(tickes)you must buy 5 and can used them anywhere in Spain (call/or write and they will explain it)also in NY 212-265-8822 /fax 212-265-8864 tourist office. Gas is very expensive in Spain.(and europe. traffic <BR>tickets are very expensive min.$200./300 <BR>for speeding ticket ALL OVER SPAIN (my brother got one last summer when he was taking me to the airport in Madris, he lives there)

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 07:33 AM
MARIA

My husband and I did this trip, but from Madrid. We had NO PROBLEMS, and we tried to use the local roads instead of x-ways. In Seville we stayed at the Melia Hotel (they were having a special, off season, with a very good breakfast). We had no problems with the police, just make sure you have your seatbelt on. We did not even realize when we had crossed from Spain into Portugal. In Portugal, it was a little more difficult to follow the map in the little roads. We drove from Seville to the Algarve, then up North to Lisbon, Belen, Fatima, Batalla, Porto and into Galicia in Northern Spain (where we have family). We both speak Spanish (not a word of Portuguese). We went to Ronda twice (we loved it) <BR>Granada is incredible, the Alhambra, the Cathedral, if you get a chance go and see the church of La Cartuja, it is incredibly beautiful. HAVE A GREAT TRIP. Maria

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 11:18 AM
Denny

We just returned from Spain and Portugal on Sunday. We flew into Madrid (spent a few days; day trips via bus), took the AVE train to Seville (spent a few days),then picked up the rental car at the train station and drove to the Algarve. No problems. Fast drive. Easy roads. No border/custom patrol. Never saw any highway patrol cars. We did maintain the speed limit and always wore our seat belts. We reserved the car in advance from Canada thru Auto Europe (Hdqrts in Maine). Reasonable rates, friendly service. The car itself was from Avis. We were able to reserve an automatic with a trunk (for safety, security and my driving skills). However, be warned that driving in the little villages is another story. I suggest you park on the outskirts and walk. Streets can be narrow and one-way. We drove back to Spain and dropped the car in Seville. The most nerve-wracking part of the trip was driving into and out of Seville with the car. Have a detailed city map with you before you leave. Spain and Portugal are wonderful countries. We plan to go back someday. Enjoy!

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 06:50 AM
wendy

Hi, <BR> <BR>My sister-in-law is from Seville and its a great city. Check out Rick Steves recommendations for hotels there. In Granada try and stay at the hotel America -http://www.karenbrown.com/spaininns/hotelamerica.html <BR>great location. <BR> <BR>As for Lisbon, we stayed at the Lisboa y Tejo. Great location, friendly staff and breakfast is included in your room rate. We went from Lisbon to Lagos by bus, then train to Taveria and then bus to Seville last summer. We had a great time! <BR> <BR>Another book you may want to get is the Eyewitness Guide to Andalusia and Seville. Great recommendations on hotels, restaurants and sites.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 10:34 AM
KRISTA

In Granada we stayed at a wonderful hotel called the Inglaterra. I found it in Fodor's Affordable Europe book. I was a little nervous because the description said, "for those who prefer old world charm to creature comforts". Well, I have no idea what creature comforts they think it's lacking, but it was a great hotel. It was around $60USD per night not including parking or breakfast and it was located about a block and a half from the cathedral. It looked like it has just been painted and was bright and fresh. I would definitely stay there again.

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 07:40 PM
Michaelyn

Thank you for all of your ideas. We've rented a car through AutoEurope for a week. It will cost us $365 for a small manual car, which includes cdw insurance and theft insurance, plus drop off charges for picking up the car in Seville and dropping it off in Lisbon. <BR> <BR>We're going to try and stay at the Lisboa y Tejo in Lisbon - it sounds wonderful for the last night of our trip. We'll also check out the other suggestions for hotels. <BR> <BR>The web sites look great. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your help! <BR>Michaelyn