Search

Trip to Prague

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Prague

Decided on 10 days/9 ngts in Prague in mid to late Aug. (First day traveling) This will be my first trip to Europe. Considering Hotel Leonardo which I hear is a little off the beaten path. Has anyone stayed there. We are also considering day train trips to other areas in Czech Republic or possibly to Austria or Germany? Suggestions from one of the more experienced travelers would be appreciated. I am excited to see the architecture in Prague but I hear other parts of the country are just as lovely.
Also, I would not opposed to changing dates if someone says "no way" on August. I have been trying to research prices and busiest times. Diane
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:49 PM

I don't know the hotel you mentioned but we absolutely loved the Hotel Residence Agnes when we stayed there this past fall. Absolutely superb service, and we thought reasonably priced, it is located near the Jewish Quarter, easy to walk to main square AND they will drive you to further spots free of charge. Easy to take train to Vienna, Budapest, etc.(although long ride to Budapest: not a day trip). Prepare for hordes of people in Prague in summer- it was packed in mid to late October to our shock and dismay. Also prepare for enormous cobblestones! But beautiful nevertheless. Enjoy!
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 03:04 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...cenesOfPrague#

Wofford:
we were in Prague in March..freezing cold as you will see. Snowfall and 20 degrees. Highly recomment U Tri Pstrosu (The three ostriches)...see pix.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM

As much as I loved Prague (I've been twice), I wouldn't want to spend nine nights there and nowhere else, especially on a first trip to Europe. I'd do an "open jaw," fly into one city and out of another. This is extremely common for flying to Europe and allows you to do a one-way trip within Europe without backtracking. The cost may be about the same or even less than round-trip ticket.

Use "multi-city" in searching to book an open jaw as one ticket (not two one-ways).

In fact, my first visit to Prague was a nine-night trip: fly into Prague (4 nights), train to Vienna (2 nights), train to Budapest (3 nights), fly out of Budapest.

You could also do Prague (4 nights), Dresden (1 night), Berlin (4 nights) easily by train.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:44 PM

I agree with Andrew, 9 days is a long time. I also agree to the division of days; we were there last November and it was damp, overcast and chilly/cold.

We did 4 days in Prague, 3 in Bratislava [with a day trip to Vienna] because Bratislava is less expensive than Vienna and 4 days in Budapest.

Definitely fly into one city -- Prague or Budapest -- and fly out of the other. 3 hour train ride between Prague - Bratislave - Budapest. No need to buy tickets in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I'd suggest 4 nights in Prague (I did 5 with a day trip to Terezin), 1 night in Cesky Krumlov and 4 nights in Vienna with a day trip to Melk and the Wachau valley.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Fly into Prague
Shuttle or train or bus to C.Krumlov
Shuttle to Vienna
Fly home from Vienna

Try Lobo Shuttle but there are others.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:56 PM

The hotel is in a good location for a first time visitor and is certainly not off the beaten path. easy walk to the Old Town Square, Wenseslas Square and Charles Bridge and short tram ride up to the castle area.near metros as well. August will Be a bit manic as it will be very crowded.
with the amount of time ypou have then you can really enjoy the real Prague and will have time to do all the main toursits sites at your own pace , take a few day trips Dresden in Germany, Tabor, Kutna Hora, Karlova Vary, Terezin, Lidice,Karlstejn and many others as day trips or even half day trips. the August weather will allow you to enjoy strolling round the less well trod parts of the city enjoying the wonderful architecture and the lovely green spaces.
http://www.prague.net/
http://livingprague.com/
these websites will give you loads of info.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:01 AM

> Considering Hotel Leonardo which I hear is a little off the beaten path ..

The hotel is VERY centrally located. True it's not directly on e.g. Royal Road between the Wenecelas Square - Charles Bridge - the Castle but it's a mere few minutes walk to the bridge so do not wxpece to be away from the crowd. I have considered to stay there but always ended up staying somewhere else equally central and somewhat cheaper.

I hear it gets quite hot in Prague in summer. I have always travelled there in the other seasons. If you are fine with possible heat, then why not in August. Perhaps it's a good thing to make sure your room has air-con which Leonardo seems to do.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. I would prefer to later the fall but will in between graduate school and a new job. If you have other recommendations on accommodations, let me know. Tower, I will check out U Tri Pstrosu. We're trying to hotel not on main street but within walking distance.