Search

Trip to paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to paris

Hi... I need a quick help . We plan to hav a trip to Paris. We land on 9th October early morning and will leave to Amsterdam on 12th afternoon via train. What location is the best to stay so that it's easier it's easier for us to take a train to Amsterdam and how can we make a best use of this trip to Paris. Your inputs are much appreciated it will really help us to plan our iternary. Thnxs all.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 02:59 AM

I think you have your question backwards. For such a short time in Paris I think you want to stay in a bustling fun part of Paris, in the center of things to do so you can really enjoy the city. I think the train to Amsterdam leaves from the Gare du Nord and while this is not an uninteresting part of Paris, it isn't "in the middle". The transportation system of Paris is easy to navigate and you can easily get to the Gare from say the 5th or 6th arr. for your departure.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 03:31 AM

Agree with Gretchen that you aren't planning this sensibly. There is absolutely no reason at all to concentrate on being near the Gare du Nord so you can get to the train to Amsterdam quickly. You can get to the Gare du Nord from any area in Paris in a very short time. You should be thinking of areas of Paris that interest you (as first-timers probably in the 4ème, 5ème, or 6ème near the river).

As regards your Paris visit, nothing beats reading a few guidebooks, looking at a map to familiarize yourself with the layout of the city, getting to know how public transportation works, and visiting the official website of the city.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 03:50 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-591903-2.cfm

Did you forget you have already a thread going on ?
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM

well, some people do like being near the train station for a trip, I'm not sure why but I've seen it a lot. However, I do not agree that you can get there easily and quickly from ANY place in Paris. There are certainly places where you can't. I myself stay near the train station if I'm only going to be in a city or town a day or so (stay within walking distance of the train station). But for 3 day stays, I wouldn't but would pick an area relatively convenient for my departure (meaning not too far and ideally direct metro line unless I wasn't planning on using metro).

But it isn't far from the 4th or 11th arrondisements. It isn't directly connected by metro from the 5th UNLESS you stay within walking distance of the RER, that would be a good option as there are enough hotels to choose from near Luxembourg stop (would be my choice). From the 6th, you'd have to stay near the no. 4 metro line which isn't quite as convenient as the RER, but not terrible. I would not stay around Chatelet/Les Halles RER stop myself. The OP could well prefer the 10th, actually, it is cheaper around there and might have the kind of restaurants he or she wants. Hard to say.

Unless the OP doesn't intend to take the metro or RER anyway with luggage, a lot of people won't, then these direct connection ideas don't matter and I'd pick a place close enough by taxi unless one really does want to walk to it.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Gare du Nord is a fine area to stay, but you can really stay just about anywhere and be no more than 15 minutes from Gare du Nord by metro.