Trip to London with Teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started planning a trip to London (Aug 1 - Aug 9), with husband and 2 teens (14 and 16).
I know we don't have a tremndous amount of time there, only 9 days, but want to make it memorable. We are interested in a little bit of city (museums, sights, art, shopping), little bit of countryside, and a healthy dose of adventure. I would also like to go someplace outside of the city, in the countryside , to see some beautiful landscape and stay at a wonderful inn or something. We are budget minded but want clean rooms (like most people). It was recommended that we take a train to Cambridge for the day and one to Edinburgh too- which we might do.While in London we will be house-sitting for friends in South London - off the tube route it seems.
Would anyone recommend a nice day or overnight trip outside of London? Do you think Stonehenge would be worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM

I like Oxford and Cambridge for day trips from London. The buildings are beautiful, and your teens may enjoy visiting some of the Harry Potter movie locations. Bath is also, rightfully, a popular place to visit. I do like Edinburgh but if you will take the time to go that far North, you could consider any place in England (or Wales too, for that matter). I wouldn't talk you out of Edinburgh, it's just that you'd pass a lot of fabulous paces along the way and you'll spend the better part of a day traveling each way.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
nessa_L

What time is your flight on Aug 1 and 9? If you are flying in during the middle of the day, don't count that day as a sightseeing day. That might leave you with only 7 days.
Consider one of the Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tours. They are a bit expensive but can give a nice overview of the city.
Also look into markets. Portobello, Camden, Spitalfields, Borough... Most of them are better on Fridays and weekends though they might be very crowded in August. I think it's always better to go earlier in the morning.
For museums, London has it all. And most of them are free, which is even better. Look for V&A, British Museums, Tate Modern, National Gallery, Natural History Museum, and so on.
You might want to look at walks.com. This company, London Walks, has a whole variety of walks throughout the city. Definitely worth a look.
I don't think I would consider Edinburgh as a day trip, unless you want to spend your day on the train. Cambridge would probably be great. Bath might also be interesting. One or 2 day trips would be great with the time you have.
And finally, just a few other things I might suggest: Greenwich (maybe take the boat there?), Hampton Court Palace, the British Library (the Treasure Rooms especially), Covent Garden, the Wallace Collection, Somerset House, Tate Britain, National Portrait Gallery, Hampstead...

I hope this helped a little!
Keep us updated!

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Teen girls or guys? What are they into--history, art, theater, literature (Tolkein/Lewis/Dickens/Shakespeare/Rowling)? Hiking? Shopping?

I'd say definitely the Tower and the British Museum, no matter what they're "into." But beyond that the sexes and interests of the kids might help posters steer you. (My daughter at 16 loved the Globe, walking all over London, seeing a play, Hampton Court, the Tower, shopping, and the British Museum. High notes outside of London were Stonehenge and Oxford, because of our CSLewis love.)
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Maybe a day trip or overnight to Bath and Stonehenge by car one day would be best. You'd get to see some countryside, the Roman Baths etc.
Edinburgh really is too far for a meaningful day trip.

I suggest doing just one day trip or overnight outside London.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM

My daughter was 12 and 17 our two trips to London. The Tower is her favorite place on the planet. You have only a week, really, unless you are really travelling July 31 and August 10. The distances look small on the map, but it really is a looong way to Edinburgh, and there's no way to do justice to London, which is enormous and fascinating, if you travel that far from it.

We spent a weekend in Bath and, from there, did a Mad Max tour of Stonehenge, Avebury and the Cotswolds that was a great overview of part of England and included Harry Potter filming sites and a little village where some of our Jane Austen film sites.

But we spent two full weeks in London the first time and all but two nights of two weeks the second and still feel as though there's much more to see. I think a day to Cambridge or Oxford-search here and get in on the debate between the two-might be an efficient way to get out of the city a bit. I second the recommendation of London Walks-www.walks.com.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

We took the train from Kings Cross to Waverly Station...Great! We booked online before we left USA and picked up tickets a day ahead at station. It was a nice trip. My kids...21, 19 and 16 enjoyed Edinburgh. I would reccomend staying at least 2 nights. The city itself is very pretty and lots to do and see just walking. WE took a bus tour to St Andrews which everyone enjoyed. Those are great value for the money...I think you might want to consider that option. We left at 9 and returned about 6...wonderful day.

We did all the main sights in London....very crowded...The bus tour and the changing of the guard were our favorites. The musuems were nice but tons of people even on the week days.

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM

When we went to London with tween/teen (11 and 14 daughters) they LOVED the V&A - but they're both really into fashion, the British Museum, and the Theater/TV Museum (which is interactive). Also liked the Tower and Westminster Abbey.

But their favorite was an afternoon hanging out at Covent Garden - which has tons of little shops and restaurants, and meeting some English kids their own age - plus a chance for the adults to have time for some gallery hopping - which the kids weren't that interested in.

Definitely make sure you leave time for activities that are separate so you're not ready to kill each other by the end of the trip - 24/7 togetherness can be just TOO much after a week or so.

As for Edinburgh - I've been several times and love it - but it's not a day trip from London - I would want at least 2 nights there - which would be cutting London short. I would focus on a day trip that is closer - and since you're not right in the center would suggest you do it by car - so you can cover more territory.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Took my 14 yr old son to London. He liked the British Museum and the Tower of London best.
Best sidetrips were to Bath( not just for the Roman ruins/baths, but I really like the Costume Museum in Bath and I am sure a teen or tween girl would too!), and Brighton( we went on sunny day and walked along the beach, allowed son to check out tacky penny arcades, the beach the seafood carts, etc.

Best all day fun side trip was to Warwick Castle, there was a great jousting show, at least 10-15 horses and "knights" full show regalia , amusing commentary, and a catapault show, plus the castle itself, we were driven there by friends, but it seemed only about 1 hr from London.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM

The last time we were in London I took my teens on a boat ride down the Thames river. It was cool as it gave an overview of everything on the Thames. We went from London to Greenwich and had lunch and looked a the Cutty Sark. We took the commuter train back to London to Charing Cross! It was an awesome afternoon.

Greenwich is 0 degrees longitude and latitude!
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the outpouring of advice and support from everybody who replied to my post! My computer has been broken and I felt bereft, not being able to read your posts until just now. My apologies for not replying sooner.

The Walks website is a great source of info - so thanks to Susan and Nessa for that. Texas asked what the kids are into - my daughter is a Shakespeare and Austen nut - so we should do the Globe and Austen's house, my son (14) is into castles and dungeons and dragons kind of thing. Bozama's advice about Warwick castle sounds good. Both kids say they will go to Kings Cross, find platform 9 and 3/4 and try to run into the wall.. so we will have to watch for that.Harry Potter is a big draw.

Joebear was the only one who thought Edingurgh was a good destination for a day trip. We could always stay overnight too, since we won't be paying for lodging we may splurge on an overnight. Maybe, it seems from everyone's suggestions, that an overnight may be a better idea.Can anyone recommend a place to stay, or give suggestions for the day trip? What to see, do?

Nessa asked when we arrive. We land in London/Gatwick on August 1, and leave August 10 - so that is 9 full days, and we may have the time and may want to get out of London a bit. Would anyone recommend more than one overnight? I know that London has so much to see and do, but we may crave a little green space and more laid back ambiance. Is London as frenetic as New York City? Will we need a timeout?

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions for Greenwich, Oxford and Cambridge - those seem to be favorites so we will certainly follow your advice, and Covent Garden too.

Another thing - is it expensive to rent a car and is it hard to drive in the city? Is the hassle worth it? I really love public transportation for the ease and no parking hassles but many of you recommended a car - so maybe that is the way to go.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM

You won't need a car in London, but if you plan to visit Jane Austen's house in Chawton, you probably will. If you go there, be sure to go to Winchester as well. The Cathedral is really interesting, and that's where Jane Austen is buried. It could be a nice day trip.

You can see pictures from our time in England and Wales, including some of the sites you want to visit, at
http://tinyurl.com/25xs9t

Lee Ann
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM

If you want to go to Edinburgh, you could catch the beginning of the Festivals, which I highly recommend. The kids would love it, I suspect. But you might not be able to get lodging now, at least the type you would like. We stayed here:
http://tinyurl.com/4clanu
These are single rooms in the University of Edinburgh residences that are let out for the summer. There may not be any left, because accommodation is at such a premium during the festivals. Ideally, your whole family could share a pod of four rooms, and then you'd have the advantage of a private kitchen and bathroom amongst yourselves.

Ideally flying into London and out of Edinburgh, or vice versa, would simplify your plans a bit if you choose to include Edinburgh.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I think Joebear recommended staying in Edinburgh for 2 nights. The train ride is around 4 hours or a bit more, and driving takes MUCH longer. IMO that is way too far for a day trip and too far for just one night as well. (I couldn't conceive of going and not stopping in York, which is about halfway, and then you're talking 3 days out of your 9!) Add in the factor that lodging in Edinburgh is quite scarce in August because of the festivals, and the sum is to wait to see Edinburgh.

Honestly, your time in London will just fly, especially if you add a day trip or two (to fairly close destinations). You've been given some great advice, and there are TONS of threads here about day trips from London.

You could consider York for a day or overnight - it's 2 hours on the train - no car needed to see a fabulous medieval city and the Minster is simply spectacular (including the undercroft which has ruins of previous buildings on the site - Roman and Romanesque). You can walk the original city walls, visit the railway museum, and the (possibly too hokey) Viking center.

London is not quite as frenetic as New York (and I grew up outside NYC) but has a similar flavor of having everything anyone could want (eg, my husband has spent many happy hours in a stone carving shop buying tools) and having a fabulous public transportation system that will take you anywhere. But London has the added dimension of centuries of history.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:26 AM

London has wonderful parks. If you get tired of "city," get some sandwiches for lunch and go sit in a park to people watch and smell the roses (literally).
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi needsnow,

whereabouts in south london are you staying? - as you have already spotted, south london is not well served [or served at all] by the tube, but it does have a very good commuter train service [sometimes called the "over-ground"]. - see www.nationalrailenquiries.co.uk.

so you should be able to connect with the underground easily enough.

and don't forget the bus.

regards, ann
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Edinburgh is absolutely wonderful. However - IMO it is not very practical for a day or even over night trip -- and especially not in August. Edinburgh literally doubles in size all of August. There are several world famous festivals and the Military Tattoo all running simultaneously. Everywhere will be booked up, will have higher rates, and will mostly have 2 or 3 night minimums, even IF you could find a place at this late date. I'd save Edinburgh/Scotland for your next visit.

Chawton is interesting but not worth the complications of renting a car for a day trip in and of itself. I'd rent a car for 2 days (3 days would be even better) and do a loop tour of Chawton, Winchester, Salisbury, Stonehenge and Avebury. You could stay the night in/near Winchester or Salisbury.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Hello,
I'm a Londoner (by residence, not by birth - I'm from northwest England) and I'm very sensible and practical.
So, my suggestions are that you slooooooow down.
London is more frenetic than NYC. There are more people in a smaller place. Manhattan stretches for miles. Central London is smaller and, despite the parks, there is a lot of congestion on the roads and the pavements. The Tubes and buses can get very crowded, and the people can get quite tense.
I'd do much research on what you like before you come. There really is something for everyone here.
As for trips out of town, I would suggest York, which is just 2 hours away from London by train. Book ahead (National Express East Coast online for a 10% discount). It's historic, 'quaint' and is far removed from London. Or you could try Rye, if you want real chocolate box tweeness. Likewise, the Cotswolds will give you that feel. You could hop on a train to Windsor for a day trip, or try Henley on Thames.
August will be warm and possibly humid. There will be a lot of tourists and fewer Londoners, who will be on their holidays.
Don't miss the Tower, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, the British Museum and the V and A.

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM

"Is London as frentic as New York City?"....that's a good question. Well, if you're comparing city centre to city center, they're both pretty intense. I think the physical layout of London makes it LESS intense: more diversity of buildings, more ancient history, less tall building and rectangular blocks, easier to walk around.

But your idea of getting out of the city is a good one. You don't need to travel far to take a break from the city though. Day trips to Windsor/Eton, Richmond, Hampton Court, Greenwich are all easy by train--none are over 45 minutes or so from central London. If you are planning to add an overnight trip from London, I'd suggest York (2 hrs by train) and/or Bath (1+ hour). Either could be a longish daytrip, but both small cities are worth an overnight.

Have a good trip!

Dave

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM

If you go there, be sure to go to Winchester as well. The Cathedral is really interesting, and that's where Jane Austen is buried.>>>

Grrr. Froth. grrrr. rant. Grrrr.

There is also a Jane Bloody Austen house in Winchester - it's at the end of College St (through the cathedral close and turn left when you exit). You can't go in - it's still a private house. There's a plaque on the wall.

Winchester's a nice day trip from London too.

Jane Bloody Austen. Grrrr. Grrrr.

Whereabout in Sarf London are you staying? - it makes a big difference to how you go about doing things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -