Reload this Page >

Trip to Italy (Rome)in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Susan

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip with our kids (12 and 15) to Rome this February. Because we are limited by their school break we only will have about 8 days in Italy. We were thinking of spending the entire time in Rome. Does that make sense, should we try for 2 cities? Any advice is welcome. We would also love hotel recommendations and advice on sights to see. Thanks, Susan.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Sarah

I would stick to one ciy for a week with your kids.<BR><BR>I have to say I much prefer smaller towns like Siena, Asisi even a smaller city like Florence but there is always a return. Milan is nice also and you could do excursions up to Como although it might be chilly that time of year in Como.<BR><BR>What a great experience for your entire family. You know what there are so many wonderful things to see in Italy you there will always be many choices I think a week is perfect for Rome.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:50 AM
xxx

I think 8 days anywhere would be boring for the kids. You have more than enough time to split it in half and go somewhere else. How about Venice?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:55 AM
elaine

Susan<BR>As much as I love other places in Italy as well or more than Rome, I'd stay put.<BR>If the weather is good you could do a long daytrip to Pompeii which I'll bet all would enjoy. You'll all get to use the trains, navigate back and forth via Naples, etc. Ostia Antica is much closer to Rome but also has some interesting ruins I am told, but no volcano was involved.<BR><BR>Having more time in one place with kids means less pressure for accomplishing the "mandatory" sightseeing, everyone can sleep in a bit more, even allows time for long lunches or a leisurely rainy afternoon or two in the hotel room, or aimless browsing in side streets. <BR><BR>I have a file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Linda

I vote just Rome also. We went for the first time last March (no kids) and I hope to go again this March with kids (grown-upish, 21, 20, 17). There is so much to see and we were moving all day long, it was exhausting. You've got to figure your first and last days will be pretty much lost to travel anyhow. If you are shoppers, it's a different experience and just trying to do that could be hard. Your kids will undoubtedtly be tired and maybe not as gung-ho to go, go, go.<BR><BR>Sites not to miss (if you like archeology): Domus Aurea (Nero's Gold House)--might have to make reservations ahead of time, easy to do when you get to Rome; Scavi tour beneath St. Peter's, go to the Vatican website and make reservations there--you need reservations but now that I think of it, I think the minimum age is 15; catacombs on the Via Appia; St. Peter's--you think you have an idea, but you don't; and of course all that you've heard about that's attracted you in the first place.<BR><BR>I had been to London and Paris the year before and was extremely disappointed when I first saw Rome. Both London and Paris are very clean. Rome was covered with grafitti and just looked gray, probably it didn't help that it was March. However, that faded into the background and I focussed on the beautiful balconies and windows decorated with red cyclamen. I have the whole world to choose from and I want to go back to Rome again (although I desperately want to visit more of the country)!<BR><BR>We went on an Alitalia package--great package, horrible airline. We were on a tight budget and our hotel was the Villa Glori and we had no complaints. Because it was outside the central area it was less money, more residential but it wasn't difficult to get to. One benefit was being on a small dead end street, off a cross street and around the corner from a main thoroughfare. It was quiet! We walked around the corner to the electric train, rode it for a mile or so and caught the subway. We caught the subway at Piazza del Popolo--we walked there our first day and were overcome by the beauty! I'm still trying to decide whether saving that much money will be worth it next time (especially because we'll need two rooms). <BR><BR>We had a wonderful time shopping in the neighborhood, we ate big at noon and bought food at night in the neighborhood and brought it back to the room. We shopped in the little grocery stores and made quick friends with the owners. I was determined to buy flowers from a vendor and on the first night I bought some. I debated and debated and finally decided on anemones, I live in Maine and anemones aren't at the florist here! The vendor asked me if I'd like a bouquet; of course I did! He made a beautiful arrangement with crepe paper and it cost me less than five euros! I made three bouquets in the room using water bottles--beautiful!<BR><BR>So, I planned this to be a quick post and just went on and on. Enjoy!