Trip to Italy in Sept 06

Search

Trip to Italy in Sept 06

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Italy in Sept 06

I am oranganizing a trip for 8 people to italy myself since i want to stay in b&bs or apartments. We want to see Milano, Florence Venice and Rome in 7 days. My first thought was to rent a Villa in Tuscany region then take the train the various places. Is it best to stay in one place or to stay a couple of nights at each palce and maybe travel the train the second night to the next destination.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess you realize that only allows 1 day to see each city, with a travel day in between?

The train trips range from only 3-5 hours between these places so I don't think a true overnight train will be an option.

I think to rent a villa and take day trips would be a much better option. Especially moving 8 people around the logistics are more complicated than for 1-2 people.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
ira

Hi jp,

If you stay near Florence, you can do a day in Rome (1:40 hr by train), a day in Venice (3 hr by train), a day in Milan (3 hr by train) and spend the rest of the time in your villa resting up from the hectic day trips.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Hello jppills, how many nights in Italy are you talking about?

Have you made your flight reservations yet? If so, where will you fly into and where will you fly home from?

Buying an open jaw flight aka multi city flight would be the best if you have not purchased your plane tickets yet. That means flying into one city (Rome for example and flying home from another city, Venice for example).

You are trying to see to many Italian cities within 7 days. Again, how many nights will you have in Italy? Best wishes.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Don't do it! You need to add at least four more days or cut out two destinations... Please, rethink this, take the great advice offered here and enjoy your trip, don't spend all your time transporting yourselves between cities.

Unless of course jppills has loads of $$ for private jets between cities? Then I may rethink this
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying 8 nights.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM

sorry, I don't see that the 8 nights makes a difference.
Even with evening trains, 4 cities in 7 days is far less than 2 days per city, especially when you factor in the wear and tear, packing and unpacking, checking in and checking out, and, imo, the general loss of leisure and soaking up the atmosphere.

If you want to rent a Tuscan villa or apartment, which sounds like a good plan, then do 2-3 daytrips, one day each to perhaps Florence, Rome, and even Venice if you want to . But otherwise, all that moving around for overnight stops sounds awful to me.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Can you never go back? I'd prioritize.
Save Rome for another trip, it's a week by itself. Fly into Milan, one day/night max, then Venice for 2 nights, then a villa in N Tuscany for the remainder and a day trip into Florence. You want to enjoy, don't be fooled if you read Italy is the size of Arizona. I spent 14 nights in just N/Central Italy and needed more!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I agree, too many cities, too little time. We stayed at a villa in Tuscany, took a one day trip to Florence, it was an easy commute from where we were. Then at the end of the trip we took the Eurostar to Venice and stayed there for three nights. We were not exhausted and felt as if we really got to know one area as opposed to seeing so many cities just briefly.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you for your information. We will rent a villa in Florence and take a few day trips by train. It is my intention to visit this area with the intention of moving there. With the research I have completed to date, Italy is very strict on work visas and requirements. SO after my visit, I would come back and start a backpacking adventure going to Spain as well.

I am 50 plus but it is now or never to do this and maybe never come back to the states.

Again, thanks for all of your input. I am going to continue to read the posts, for this is the ideal way to learn quickly what works and what does not.

Ciao,

Happy Travels
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi jp,

>We will rent a villa in Florence and take a few day trips by train. It is my intention to visit this area with the intention of moving there.<

If your intention is to scout the neighborhood for places to live, may I suggest renting a villa near Siena and renting a car?

Also see Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Also, go to www.slowtrav.com and look at the forum for expats in Italy.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

IRA, so are you moivng cold turkey or would it be a transfer from an international compnay doing business in Italy? I am intriqued by the country and the artistic history and buildings.
I love the arts but am in the retirement industry to make a living.

Please respond when you can.

Thanks for the input-this site is a valuable tool to access.

Ciao,

JP