Trip to Italy back on, HELP!

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Italy back on, HELP!

Evening all, After putting my plans on hold since early Dec., my mom passed 2 weeks ago from illness, we have decided to forge ahead with trip! Husband, teenage son and I are meeting daughter in Madrid, than heading to Italy. We fly out March 26th! I have no car or hotels till our time share starts! Plan is this, fly into Madrid (airfare is using miles)stay 3-4 nights, fly Europe by air ($99) to Turin Italy. Stay 1 or 2 nights. (son wants to see auto museum and Fiat Factory?) Rent a car, tips?, and head down to time share in S. Tuscany. Stay for week, sightsee, etc. than go to Florence, drop off car, spend 1 day and night, and fly out next day early. Yikes! (this is in span of 15 days) Have room in Madrid, need help on Turin and Florence! Have no clue as to the areas in towns. Just want to wander, see the Egypt museum in Turin and mingle and eat! Florence, maybe just go see David, other than that, no time this trip for other Florence museums, and being the last night, want to sit outside with a bottle of vino. Well, that's what I want to do, will play it by ear with 2 teenagers. We can also blow off some of the time share and stop along the way down if we feel like it. So, any tips for nice rooms? We don't need fancy, just clean and comfy beds. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Bo
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Where is your time share?
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

It is in (or near) Gavorrano. Think it is called Pelagone II. Been too long since I looked this stuff over! I know I have read many of your posts. They have given many great tips and places! Thanks so much!
Bo
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:15 PM

My sympathies re your loss. I'm glad you've decided to go on your trip, though!

For hotels, I suggest you start with www.venere.com This site has the largest selection of hotels in Italy, and will allow you to search for availability by dates, so you don't waste time looking at places that are fully booked. Once you've found something that's available and fits your budget, you can check Rants & Raves and text search here for feedback: "Florence AND hotelname," for example.

For a rental car, you should definitely book in advance from the States - much better rates. Autoeurope.com is a reliable broker which works with many rental agencies.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi boroth,

My condolences on your loss.

> any tips for nice rooms? We don't need fancy, just clean and comfy beds.<

I suggest the B&B Peterson (www.bedinflorence.it). Clean, basic accomodations in a safe residential neighborhood about 10 min walk from the train station. About 60E/dbl.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:15 AM

I second the Autoeurope rec. Also I'd suggest Hotel Casci (pronounced Cashee) in Florence. Wonderful location, good staff. Lovely breakfast room.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hey borath 25 - are you out there anywhere?!

I am planning a trip to Italy next year and came across your posts from 2003/04 where you mentioned you were going to stay a Il Pelagone in Gavarrano which is part of Interval International. Did you stay here and can you tell me what it is like?

I am debating whether to use up a week of our time share to stay here (if I can even get it) or whether to venture out on our own and stay at several towns in Tuscany.

The resort looks nice, but is it out of the way and off the beaten track or is it a beautifuly getaway worth the drive to find.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM

In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Pierre which is centrally located, reasonably priced (at least in the low season!), good breakfast, and has spacious rooms with beautiful bathrooms. We walked everywhere. It's near Piazza de la Republica, between the Duomo and Ufizzi.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Outside of Turin is a very interesting site called the Sacra di San Michele. It is an abbey/fortress built on the edge of a cliff. You can find more information at www.sacradisanmichele.com

I would also suggest a train/tram ride up the mountain to the Basilica di Superga. Great views of the city are available from up there.

Turin is one of those places where it is great to just get out and walk around the center of the city too. There are many squares and small parks to enjoy. Turin is also supposed to be a magical city. I believe that there are tours available explaining more about this subject and its relation to the city.

You may be there during the chocolate festival. I was there last year at the end of March and there was a great festival going on where local, national and international chocolate makers were displaying their products.

Also, while I was there, the festival of the mountain was being observed (I believe it was near the Gran Madre di Dio). There was a very interesting (though quite small) museum dedicated to the history of mountain exploration in this area as well. During the celebration there was a band performing local music and free trials of traditional local wine.

Turin is a great city. Enjoy the miles of porticos and have a great time!