Search

Trip to France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Shari

Trip to France

I will be visiting France from May 27-June 5th. I am planning on three nights in Paris. I also want to visit Bordeaux Pyrennes(not positive about this) and The French Riviera. My husband and I are interested in 4-5 star places. We love things to do, but prefer natural beauty to crowds. Any suggestions on where to go/stay? To give you examples of places we LOVED in Italy: Sorrento, Capri, Portofino, Florence, etc.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Firstly, Bordeaux &amp; Pyrenees are very different places.<BR><BR>I think you may like Languedoc on the way to the Riviera.<BR><BR>Its relatively relaxed and quiet with lots to do.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Shari

Thanks. There was supposed to be a comma after Bordeaux. I know they are different places. Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Heather

In 2000, I planned and took a trip that mostly was in smaller cities and countryside. It went:<BR><BR>Paris &gt; Alsace (Colmar) &gt; Annecy &gt; Provence (15 mins. from Gordes) &gt; Riviera (Villefranche-Sur-Mer)<BR><BR>This gave us a nice mix of city, wine villages, lake/mountains, hills, etc., and virtually no crowds (we went just about a week earlier than your planned dates). We didn't stay in 4/5-star places, so I can't offer help there but am sure others here can assist.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM
StCirq

Shari&quot; If I'm counting right, you have 8 days total. Minus three in Paris leaves 5. You want to make a big wide loop fairly far down the western coast of France then across the mountains to the southern shore. That's a lot of ground to cover in 5 days. <BR><BR>I would skip Bordeaux - though I love the place it is not going to capture the heart of a first-timer. I'd take the train into the Dordogne and meander from there down through the Languedoc to Carcassonne and on to Montpellier and along the coast a bit (but not the Riviera) then on to the Bouche-du- Rh&ocirc;ne area and take the TGV back from Avignon. You could see quite a lot - and a lot of different types of scenery - in 4 days, and not feel hurried.