Reload this Page >

Trip to Exeter, UK

Search

Trip to Exeter, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:56 AM
Rosemary

Trip to Exeter, UK

Hello,<BR><BR>I am planning a trip to Exeter in the UK (that was where I was able to transfer my timeshare). Does anyone have any experience in visiting Exeter? Any suggestions on getting around by rail? Any don't miss sights we should plan?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Rosemary

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
wow

Exeter wouldn't be one of my first choices of having a timeshare location - however, is a great base to visit Devon and Cornwall as well as Bristol, Bath and the surrounding areas.<BR><BR>Try http://www.exeter.gov.uk/ fotr some tourism ideas in Exeter itself

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Judy

I stayed in Exeter for one week to tour around south Devon two years ago.<BR><BR>Exeter is a lively old university town ( plenty of good and cheap pub food,interesting plays and concerts for nightlife),magnificent old cathedral,nice river walk, and the most convenient centre for visiting south Devon by public transportation.<BR><BR>From the site:Carfreedaysout.com, you could find lots info. about cheap pass (for trains and buses) and interesting travel routes. Dartmoor for hiking,stark sceneraries and remote tiny villages;Torquay for seaside holiday; Killerton,Campton Castle, Castle Drogo for historical buildinging or beautiful parks. For garden lovers, the Botanic Garden in University of Exeter is one of the oldest, Coleton Fiseracre garden is a must also.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
janis

I am not sure, but it is unlikely your timeshare is actually IN Exeter. Most resorts in south Devon are in manor houses or converted farms in the countryside. The postal address may be Exeter, but do you know eher it actually is?<BR><BR>That being said, there are MANY things to see within day trips: Torquay, Paington, dartmouth, Salcombe, Dartmoor, Lyme Regis, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe - plus farther into Cornwall.<BR><BR>But you will definitely need a car. You won't be able to see much of that area by train,

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Jo Lewis

Dear Rosemary,<BR>I live in Exeter. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have<BR><BR>Jo

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
reader

Is it true that women in Exeter don't wear knickers?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Jo Lewis

Who told you that?<BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
cindy

We went there on our last trip to UK - we were less than impressed. The cathedral is wonderful, but really, use it only as a base for visiting Devon and Cornwall.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Bob U.

Powderham Castle is very nice to visit & is located just south of Exeter at Kenton. Try a horse race at the Exeter or Newton Abbot racecourse. The Dorset coast is fun to explore near Lyme Regis. Agree with above that you really need a car to fully enjoy the area.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Tony Hughes

The local soccer team, Exeter City, have that globulous fraud Uri Geller on the board of directors AND, even more unbelievable, Michael Jackson too. <BR><BR>Apparently they are lining up a friendly between Exeter City and Brasil for 2004.