Trip Routing from Paris to Normandy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this subject has been talked about ad finitum, but I still am not sure how to route this:
Want to do a 1-2 night day trip to Normandy. Prefer to take the TGV to Normandy, and then rent a car. Would like to visit Rouen, Honfleur, Bayeaux and Omaha Beach.
Since I will be paying double rental during this time (Paris and Normandy), I don't want to spend too much time there.
What would make the most sense? TGV to Rouen, then car to Honfleur, Bayeaux, and D-Day beach, then TGV back, or is there a better routing, and which towns would you recommned an overnite in. This will be in mid-October 2007. Have never been to Normandy, one of the last areas of France I do not know (+Brittany, which I will leave for another trip)
Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM

I got back a couple of weeks ago from 2 weeks in Normandy. Some may disagree with me, but I don't think you can do justice to all those areas in just 1 or 2 nights - no way! By the way, there is no TGV to Normandy, just the regular train from Gare St. Lazare, which is fine. If you went to Rouen to pick up car, you really would have no time to see that interesting city and still make it to Honfleur (which I loved), spend any time there, then to Bayeux.

I would say, just take the train to Bayeux and see the Beaches, Tapestry, etc. in that area. You could do a Battlebus tour (which is highly recommended here, altho I did the beaches on my own), and you wouldn't need to rent a car. If you really want to have a car, take the train to Caen to pick up car (I don't think Bayeux has much in the way of rental cars). You could still stay there (Bayeux) for the 2 nights, returning the car back to Caen. I would definitely forget driving from Rouen.

If you do get the car, I can recommend the Ferme de la Ranconniere, in Crepon. as a great place to stay. It's an easy drive from Caen, and not far from Bayeux, close to Arromanches and the Beaches. Very reasonable rates, and good Norman food -dinner and breakfast included the the price. I stayed there 4 nights, and never got tired of the dinners!

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions? I don't know if Honfleur, Rouen and D-Day beaches too much for 1-2 nite daytrip?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM

The TGV doesn't go to Normandy for starters.

And personally, I wouldn't do this unless you have 3-4 days, especially if you're paying for a Paris apt. while on this trip. Save it for another day. Or take one of those exhausting dawn to midnight all-day ParisVision tours.

But really, stay in Paris and enjoy yourself or take a short daytrip to Chantilly and Senlis or Vaux-le-Vicomte or Auvers-sur-Oise or somewhere.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:04 PM

I spent 6 days visiting Rouen, Honfleur, Bayeaux, a full day Battlebus tour, and finished in Senlis. Even that amount of time didn't do the area justice in any way.

With only 1-2 nights I'd just go to Bayeaux via public transport and see the tapestry and do a tour. I found the Battlebus tour very worthwhile and will use the company again when I'm back in the area.