Paris to Normandy sightseeing question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I need your help in trying to decide on the best plan to see Normandy on our June trip. We are headed to Le Havre for the World Cup on the back part of our trip. We have heard great things about the guided tours in the region so our first thought is to head to Bayeux during our Paris time, do a half day tour, and head back in the evening. Then we would take the train to Le Havre as planned later in the week. Another thought was to head to Bayeux on our original Paris departure day by train, do a tour, and stay there for a night. Then we would rent a car and drive to Le Havre for the game and eventually drive back to CDG to fly home. Seeing the area is definitely important to us, so I think we will do one or the other. I have concerns about renting a car in Europe and the drive from Bayeux. To me, the train transportation seems easier even if we go to Bayeux on another day. My husband thinks it is easy and convenient to rent a car. Also, do the trains to Bayeux go every day? We are looking at a Tuesday. Is it easy to get from the station by our hotel in the Latin Quarter to the St. Lazare station where the tour guide said to catch the Bayeux train? Thank you!
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Yes, of course, trains go to Bayeux and Caen and other local spots every day.

I can see no logical reason for thinking that going to Bayeux for a tour, then backtracking to Paris, would make any sense at all. Just go to Normandy, to Le Havre or Bayeux or Caen or Arromanches, or elsewhere, and stay there for a few days. Do a tour or two, or do it on your own in a car.

You can't see all the DDay sites in Normandy, if that's your aim, without a car. Driving in France is a no-brainer, though. I don't know what your concerns are.

Honestly, you need to know how to get from your hotel to the Gare St-Lazare?

Last edited by moderator8; Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:54 AM

I think we need to know more details about your trip before we can give useful advice. What day do you arrive, what day do you leave and what day is the World Cup game? How much time do you want to spend in Paris? I agree with St Cirq and your husband that renting a car for the Normandy portion of your trip is very easy and convenient. Driving is easy in Normandy and a car gives you lots of flexibility. We have been to Normandy twice (took a granddaughter each time) and we toured the D-Day sites on our own. We had a good guide book and really enjoyed it. Click on my name and you can find trip reports I posted that may be helpful.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Since 2019 is the 75th anniversary of D-Day, I would expect more traffic and perhaps more events. For that reason, June 6 might not be the best day to drive in that area. Having said that, we visited all of the American D-Day sites in October in one very easy day. Driving was extremely simple and surprisingly mostly rural and without any other appreciable traffic. We were based in Bayeux. The biggest surprise for us was finding Normandy, with all of its beachfront to be so unspoiled and left much like American GI's found it in 1944. Here is a link to our trip report: Brittany/Normandy/D-Day 4 nights. October
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback so far. We arrive in Paris on June 14 and are going to the U.S. games on June 16 in Paris and June 20 in Le Havre. We booked two nights in Le Havre when we saw lodging was filling up, but now think maybe it is too long there, plus we have been researching the area and see how many things of interest are closer to Bayeux. We realize there is backtracking, but just trying to figure out if it is less hassle to just take the train. From what you are saying, though, it might be nice to have the flexibility of a car and maybe my concerns aren’t valid. Other input is appreciated!
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We enjoyed Bayeux. You can rent a car there though hours are limited. When in Paris just get a metro map and you will figure out how to get from your hotel to train easy enough. You can also get a taxi if that would make you feel more comfortable. I like rome2rio.com for driving and options. We had no trouble driving in France. I liked doing Normandy on our own. We were short on time in Ypres recently and paid for a private tour which was worth every penny. Normandy has Overlord tours which are good but we liked moving at our own pace. You will be visiting at a good time. Churchill hotel in Bayeux is great.

Last edited by Macross; Jan 6th, 2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: .
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Le Havre isn't an ideal spot to spend the night in - not sure why you got freaked about things booking up - That was unnecessary. Dump those lodgings and book some in a pleasant place like Honfleur or Deauville or Trouville or Bayeux or Cean or thereabouts. Rent a car. It's not complicated.Read a guidebook or two or check out the local tourist office

Last edited by Moderator1; Jan 6th, 2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: unnecessary comment
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 01:28 PM

RometoRio is notoriously unreliable. Use it at your own risk. I hate it.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 06:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
We went to Normandy in October and drove ourselves along the DDay beaches for a day. Very easy to drive and follow the shore. In Bayeux, the Bayeux tapestry was fascinating, catch it before they close the museum for renovations and send the tapestry (really an embroidery) to England for a visit.

A car gives the added benefit of driving through the Normandy countryside and stopping at cheese makers and apple orchards where they make Calvados.

My trip report covers a somewhat different area than you are planning to visit but does include Bayeux and the DDay beaches if you are interested.

Why I love France: Nikki's trip to Normandy
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nikki
We went to Normandy in October and drove ourselves along the DDay beaches for a day. Very easy to drive and follow the shore. In Bayeux, the Bayeux tapestry was fascinating, catch it before they close the museum for renovations and send the tapestry (really an embroidery) to England for a visit./
Yikes, Nikki, that just about gave me a heart attack! The tapestry is scheduled to move in 2020, and we’re going this September, just squeaking in!

I loved your trip report, you have a wonderful way of sharing your experiences.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. We will be in Le Havre for the one night as the soccer game doesn’t even start until 9 and we don’t want to drive that late. Definitely more research to do!
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 07:16 PM

You have a little more breathing room. The magnificent tapestry is not being loaned to UK until 2022.