trip report part 1

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:45 PM
wendy

trip report part 1

We got back from England last week and had a wonderful ( or as they say in England) a lovely time, thanks to lots of good advise from this message board. The weather was rainy the first three days but a sun- shinny 70 degrees the next twelve days. (unusual we were told)
We stayed at the Thistle Westminster which was between Victoria station and Buckingham Palace. It was small but comfortable and a great location. We did all the touristy things in London the first week - Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, The British Museum, The London Eye, Westminster Abby, The Cabinet War Rooms, Buckingham Palace, Covent Gardens,The changing of the Horse Guards and the Ceremony of Keys-( which was great fun) etc. We also went to two plays- My Fair Lady and Twelfth Night at the new Globe Theater (where Kevin Spacey sat kiddy koner from us). Both plays were delightful. The Twelfth Night had an all male cast where males were supposed to be females who were disguised to be males. It sounds confusing but somehow they carried it off and it was very entertaining. We found London to be a very cosmopolitan, bustling and friendly city. We took the tube most places and frequented some of the local pubs which gave us a nice flavor of the city. We also took the Beatles walking tour and I got to cross Abby Road and stand in front of Abby Road Studios. We spent our last day in London at Hampton Court and loved it. Most of the attractions were not crowded. i.e. The Tower of London Crown jewls had only 6 others besides ourselves at 9:30 in the morning.

Part 11 will be about the countryside

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Lucy

Hi Wendy, just a little tip - it would be easier for people to follow your report if you posted the remining parts as a reply to this thread. Cheers.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:00 PM
adding part 2 for Wendy

Author: wendy ([email protected])
Date: 07/31/2002, 09:53 pm
Message: After leaving London, we rented a car and drove to the countryside. I am happy to say that my husband did all the driving which was a bit harrowing--being on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. The roads were very narrow and very curvy. In addition, they drive about 95 miles per hour there. The first few days I was plastered to the seat making little gasping noises as my husband tried to blend into the traffic. After awhile, however, I
learned to adjust somewhat or at least stifle my exasperating noises. Actually my husband did a fantastic job driving.

The country was beautiful, as all of you who have been there know. We stopped at Oxford on the way to the Costswolds and took another tour with a strange street person. I would recommend Oxford, but not the tour.

The Cotsowlds were very charming. There were little stone cottages with thatched roofs all nestled together. Lots of pubs and antique stores lined the main streets. Some of the buildings have been there since the 1100's. We toured some of the little towns and visited Blenheim Palace ( The Churchill estate). We enjoyed the grounds as much as the palace. We also visited Warwick Castle ( the best medieval castle around) and Hidcot Gardens which were lovely. We stayed in Chipping Camden in the Noel Arms hotel that was built in the 1300's . It was charming but needless to say had no A/C. Since the weather
had turned unusually warm, it was about 150 degrees in the room. Our room faced the court yard where the locals would meet for lager or stout and try to pick up young single
woman staying at the hotel during the late evening and on into the wee hours of the night. If we opened the windows, we heard laughter and talking all night; if we closed the windows our room was like a furnace. Despite that annoyance, we loved the Cotswolds.

We left Chipping Camden and headed for Bath. We stayed at an elegant B & B , The Apsley
House for one night. The Roman baths were interesting and the charming restaurant The Pump Room built above was very nice. However, the city itself was very touristy filled with shops such as the Gap and Starbucks. I also visited the Jane Austin museum which was kind of fun. Apparently many of her characters were based on people she met while living in Bath.

Kent ( the gardens of England) was our last destinatination. We stayed at the Bishopsdale Oast in Biddingtdon (which was once used for drying hops for beer) and converted
to a B & B. Our hosts, cook. The oast was very rustic and homey. Our hosts, Jane and Ian were warm and hospitable people that gave us good tips on where to find the best
castles and gardens. Jane is also a gormet cook and made some excellet meals. We met other travelers from Australia and other parts of England while there. Our favorite garden was Sissinghurst where 16 acres of pristine and gorgeous gardens lay. We also liked
Hever and Leeds castles that had breathtaking landscaping complete with moats and mazes. I
enjoyed the insides of the castles, but my husband said they all began to blend together after awhile and he chose not to view
any more tapestries, antique furnishing and old paintings. In addition we visted Pashley Manner which was filled with wonderful sculptures.

All in all - it was a fantastic trip thanks to much of the advise on this board!! We would both go back in a minute..

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:54 AM
xxx

Uniting the first part and the second part ("part 11"). Even better would have been a title that refers to the destinations in some way.

=====================================

trip report part 11

Author: wendy ([email protected])
Date: 07/31/2002, 09:53 pm
Message: After leaving London, we rented a car and drove to the countryside. I am happy to say that my husband did all the driving which was a bit harrowing--being on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. The roads were very narrow and very curvy. In addition, they drive about 95 miles per hour there. The first few days I was plastered to the seat making little gasping noises as my husband tried to blend into the traffic. After awhile, however, I
learned to adjust somewhat or at least stifle my exasperating noises. Actually my husband did a fantastic job driving.

The country was beautiful, as all of you who have been there know. We stopped at Oxford on the way to the Costswolds and took another tour with a strange street person. I would recommend Oxford, but not the tour.

The Cotsowlds were very charming. There were little stone cottages with thatched roofs all nestled together. Lots of pubs and antique stores lined the main streets. Some of the buildings have been there since the 1100's. We toured some of the little towns and visited Blenheim Palace ( The Churchill estate). We enjoyed the grounds as much as the palace. We also visited Warwick Castle ( the best medieval castle around) and Hidcot Gardens which were lovely. We stayed in Chipping Camden in the Noel Arms hotel that was built in the 1300's . It was charming but needless to say had no A/C. Since the weather
had turned unusually warm, it was about 150 degrees in the room. Our room faced the court yard where the locals would meet for lager or stout and try to pick up young single
woman staying at the hotel during the late evening and on into the wee hours of the night. If we opened the windows, we heard laughter and talking all night; if we closed the windows our room was like a furnace. Despite that annoyance, we loved the Cotswolds.

We left Chipping Camden and headed for Bath. We stayed at an elegant B & B , The Apsley
House for one night. The Roman baths were interesting and the charming restaurant The Pump Room built above was very nice. However, the city itself was very touristy filled with shops such as the Gap and Starbucks. I also visited the Jane Austin museum which was kind of fun. Apparently many of her characters were based on people she met while living in Bath.

Kent ( the gardens of England) was our last destinatination. We stayed at the Bishopsdale Oast in Biddingtdon (which was once used for drying hops for beer) and converted
to a B & B. Our hosts, cook. The oast was very rustic and homey. Our hosts, Jane and Ian were warm and hospitable people that gave us good tips on where to find the best
castles and gardens. Jane is also a gormet cook and made some excellet meals. We met other travelers from Australia and other parts of England while there. Our favorite garden was Sissinghurst where 16 acres of pristine and gorgeous gardens lay. We also liked
Hever and Leeds castles that had breathtaking landscaping complete with moats and mazes. I
enjoyed the insides of the castles, but my husband said they all began to blend together after awhile and he chose not to view
any more tapestries, antique furnishing and old paintings. In addition we visted Pashley Manner which was filled with wonderful sculptures.

All in all - it was a fantastic trip thanks to much of the advise on this board!! We would both go back in a minute..

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:03 AM
wendy

Thanks for the tips.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:24 PM
up

up