Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is this festival in Venice during the first of June?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Jeanna

I'm pretty new to this forum (and international travel). I'll be in Italy during the first of June; apparently there's some type of festival going on in Venice during that time. Sounds like it will be wall-to-wall people. Is this one of the worst times to visit Venice?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:37 AM
wes fowler

Jeanna, <BR>Not only wall to wall with people, but canal to canal as well. For well over 100 years, Venice has staged a world famous Biennial festival of the arts, music and theatre in alternate years. This is one of those years, commencing in May and continuing into October. Venice, due to its uniqueness, is always crowded with tourists; this year more so than usual.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Paulo

Jeanna, for info regarding the Biennale (and what might be on while you're there) see <BR>http://www.labiennaledivenezia.net/gb/index.html <BR> <BR>Visiting Venice in May/June is much better than in July/August. Just go for it and don't worry about people. As Wes says, except possibly in winter (excluding the last week in December and Carnival) Venice will be crowded no matter what. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:15 PM
nancy

a good site for events is <BR>www.whatsonwhen.com

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Claye

Here's another site to check for things going on. http://www.hostetler.net/CGI-SHL/dbm...ler/events.dbm

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:25 AM
Jeanna

Thanks so much to all of you! I will check out the suggested sites.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM
Rex

One (of several) of the few posts contributed by Claye. Although we did not directly use any of the tips and ideas that came from ths site he found, I did correspond for a bit with Mr. Hostetler; the website cited here by Claye is still up and very useful.<BR><BR>Recommended to anyone looking for things to do in the Milan area, and festival events and feast days in particular.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>