Trip Report--mostly France

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report--mostly France

My husband and I just returned from two grand months in Europe. We've been before, but always in the summer. Now that I'm retired from teaching, we planned the trip for spring, and it was perfect. I'll just give some highlights...
We had enough miles to fly international first class from San Francisco to Frankfurt on Lufthansa--what a wonderful experience! Food, service, amenities were the best we've ever had. We were especially grateful for the cozy two-piece lounge suits issued us--we wore them frequently throughout our trip as it was cooler than we had anticipated.
A short flight from Frankfurt to Zurich to stay with friends who live in a condominium overlooking the lake--great views off to the Alps--and lovely at night to see the city's twinkling lights reflected in the lake. We did several day trips, most notable to a roaring waterfall on the Rhine near the well-preserved medieval village of Schaffhausen. Many of the houses have elaborate "bay windows" on the upper story from which the ladies could observe the happenings on the street below. Was obviously a wealthy town--a center for many kinds of artisans. Also a lovely drive to Davos--still a great deal of snow and a fine lunch on the terrassee at Schneider's.
We took the train to Lyon, where we stayed at Citadines Presqu'ile. Our studio apartment was immaculate and comfortable, including a small but well-equipped kitchen. I would certainly recommend it, and would not hesitate to stay at Citadines in any of their other locations.
This was our third visit to Lyon, and as before, we found the Office du Tourisme on Place Bellecour to be most helpful. We went back to sites we had visited before--the Roman Theatres and museum, Vieux Lyon and the Traboules (had guided walking tour with English-speaking guides for the last two)--and did a walking tour on our own (with map and suggestions from the Office du Tourisme)to the Painted Walls--fascinating! A must see in Lyon.
AND--best reason for visiting Lyon--the food! The concierge at Citadines directed us to a street nearby--Rue Pleney--lined with restaurants. We walked and read menus--set menu prices from 12 to 26 euros. The one we chose the first night was tiny, perhaps seating 20 inside, and I'm sorry I can't remember the name because the food was excellent. First course salade avec foie de volailles, then seafood quenelles that literally could have floated off the plate except for the rich sauce holding them down. We tried two other restaurants on the street and were not disappointed, though neither were as fine as the first. Also lunch at Chaubert et Fils (recommended in someone's trip report) and it was super--an unbeatable roquefort feuillete entree, salmon en brochette and ratatouille.
The last day we went to the outdoor market on Quai Saint Antoine and later feasted on pate, cheese, bread, lovely tiny and sweet radishes, and a fine wine in our little apartment.
We picked up our car (brand new Peugeot which we leased through Open Europe) and set off in cold rain for Vaison la Romaine. More later....
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Keep it coming, please!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Yes, please , more!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Hi, Roamer. How was you stay in Sarlat? We are booked at La Bouquerie for May 2006. Do you have any suggestions for us? It will be our first time in the Dordogne.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:12 PM
tod

Travel should always be like this. Looking forward to the next instalment!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Wow two months in Europe, amazing.

Looking forward to more posts.

~amelie