Trip Report -- A Magical Paris vacation with two little girls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip to Paris included myself, my hubby, and our 5 yr. old and 6 yr. old little girls.

We were there the week before Easter. I don't mean to bore everyone with the details, but the details make a trip come alive to me! Thanks to all the great posters for input, advice, and tips. It was a magical trip! So... here we go -

We loved:
- the museum pass
- lots of parks and carousels as we walked around
- having an apartment
- very kid-friendly museum employees everywhere
- the bike tour

We would do differently:
- maybe fewer attempts at eating out (the food doesn’t look the same) or pack lunches to eat in parks
- avoid the lines at the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame
- consider skipping the top of the Eiffel Tower

Day 1, Wednesday – The Beginning of the “The Food Doesn’t Look Exactly Like It Is Supposed To” Syndrome

After arrival, took a taxi to our apartment at 26 rue de Richelieu (near Palais Royal) and met our contact, who was waiting for us. We were very pleased to see the new elevator working and thought the apartment was great! We received very good detailed instructions, although it is tough to retain everything when you are tired and just want to unpack and get settled. The English directions at the apartment were appreciated later when we were using the washing machine and the oven and we couldn’t remember exactly her instructions.

First, walked through Palais Royal and saw the black and white striped cement structures that became our daily exercise! These are 260 structures of varying heights over a large area. Then we walked through the Louvre grounds, the Tuileries, and across the Seine and to visit Musee d’Orsay. We were bummed to see the long line (we were cold), however, as soon as we had gotten in the back of the line, a security man told us to go around to a side entrance (group entrance) with the children. Of course, we were thrilled to avoid the line! We decided to purchase museum passes at this point.

After walking along the ground floor and having many discussions about the sculptures, we took the escalator to the 5th floor and viewed the Impressionists first. We’ve read a lot of books about the Impressionists, so it was fun for the girls to say, “hey, I recognize that painting”. We also had to see Degas’ dancer, so that was a highlight. Of course, I love the large clock and I have a cute photo of the girls holding hands silhouetted by the clock.

We decided to walk to lunch at ‘La Palette’ in St. Germain des Pres. The art on the wall was interesting and the café felt like a fairly typical one (I think we were the only Americans in there at the time). The girls only ate bread – this was the beginning of “The Food Doesn’t Look Exactly Like It Is Supposed To” syndrome – not my favorite syndrome. (The hot dog was rejected since it had cheese on top and the fries were more like home fries).

We then walked through the Tuileries and rode the carousel and the pony rides. After a crepe sucre at Café Very in the Tuileries (they didn’t like it, can you imagine???), we headed back to the apartment and headed to Monoprix for some provisions. Note: the stroller is excellent for bringing home groceries.

next: Enacting Plan B When the Lines Are Too Long
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Welcome back, Surfmom. When we were thre in February kids of all ages seemed to love those black and white pillars in Palais-Royal.

Looks like this is going to be a great report and looking forward to more.

Anselm
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Day 2, Thursday – Enacting Plan B When the Lines Are Too Long

The girls were a bit confused during the night and woke up at midnight. Since I had neglected to put a clock in their room, they thought it was morning and made their beds and came to find us. When I convinced them it was really midnight, they fell asleep again and didn’t wake until Daddy did at 9:30!!

We had intended on being early in line at the Notre Dame Towers to avoid the crowds, but this didn’t happen since we had slept so late. Since the line was pretty long (we guessed an hour or so), we decided to enact Plan B. We visited inside Notre Dame and then stopped at the park behind the cathedral. For lunch, we went to Brasserie St. Louis on Ile St. Lous and had a lunch of Tarte a l’oignon (yum), Faux filet with frites (yum), and a omelette nature (close enough to scrambled eggs to work), and bread. At La Flore en L’ile, the girls were very happy with Bertillon vanilla and chocolate ice cream cones. After walking and shopping, we found a park! (surprise!). We headed to the Musee Picasso and had fun walking around recognizing art, but weren’t able to find all of our favorites. However, the girls each picked out a few postcards so we found our favorites.

On the way back to the metro, we passed yet another park, so we had to stop and play... and then rode the carousel at St. Paul. After dinner and bed, I went for a walk to the Louvre and took some photos of the area at night (including the magnificent sunset behind the Eiffel Tower).

next: Day 2, Thursday – Enacting Plan B When the Lines Are Too Long
The girls were a bit confused during the night and woke up at midnight. Since I had neglected to put a clock in their room, they thought it was morning and made their beds and came to find us. When I convinced them it was really midnight, they fell asleep again and didn’t wake until Daddy did at 9:30!!

We had intended on being early in line at the Notre Dame Towers to avoid the crowds, but this didn’t happen since we had slept so late. Since the line was pretty long (we guessed an hour or so), we decided to enact Plan B. We visited inside Notre Dame and then stopped at the park behind the cathedral. For lunch, we went to Brasserie St. Louis on Ile St. Lous and had a lunch of Tarte a l’oignon (yum), Faux filet with frites (yum), and a omelette nature (close enough to scrambled eggs to work), and bread. At La Flore en L’ile, the girls were very happy with Bertillon vanilla and chocolate ice cream cones. After walking and shopping, we found a park! (surprise!). We headed to the Musee Picasso and had fun walking around recognizing art, but weren’t able to find all of our favorites. However, the girls each picked out a few postcards so we found our favorites.

On the way back to the metro, we passed yet another park, so we had to stop and play… and then rode the carousel at St. Paul. After dinner and bed, I went for a walk to the Louvre and took some photos of the area at night (including the magnificent sunset behind the Eiffel Tower).

next: A Double Decker Carousel!! A Double Decker Carousel!!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Day 2, Thursday – Enacting Plan B When the Lines Are Too Long

On the way back to the metro, we passed yet another park, so we had to stop and play... and then rode the carousel at St. Paul. After dinner and bed, I went for a walk to the Louvre and took some photos of the area at night (including the magnificent sunset behind the Eiffel Tower).

next: A Double Decker Carousel!! A Double Decker Carousel!!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

sorry for the doubles guys... hitting 'paste' too often is a problem. I tried to edit and ended up re-posting. argh.

I, surfmom, vow to edit my reply before I post again.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I'm enjoying this. Keep it coming!

You know what I like best so far? The girls made their own beds, and you mention it in a taken-for-granted manner.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM

I, too, Padraig, was impressed that those dear little girls made their beds!

I'm especially enjoying your report, surfmom, because I have hopes of taking my granddaughter (now 4.5 yrs) to Paris before I get too old! God willing, I'll do it in a year or two. It sounds as though your girls did very well and even enjoyed the museums! What a wonderful trip for all of you!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Hello surfmom, I knew as soon as I saw the title of your thread it would be a good read!

Food..sufmom one time when I drove on a trip with a friend and her two children and my daughter when she was 5 years old I have to tell you, it was a problem, lol. My little daughter was always a terrific eater even with regards to veggies. But guess the morning that we took of on this trip she decided to be a problem. All she wanted to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner was a PB&J sandwich and chocolate milk. After two days of going to places like Denny's (which I hate) I finally said to her..you can figure out what to eat or you can starve, lol. Soooo..I am looking forwawrd to the rest of your trip report!! Especially regarding the girls and what they ate or should I say didn't eat, lol.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Surfmom

Enjoying your trip report. Let me get this straight, the girls are 5 and 6 and they made their bed without being told?
Please come over to my house and teach my 18 year old stepdaughter to make her bed.

My husband and I will then take you surfing at Chun's on the North Shore of Oahu
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I also am enjoying your report. I'd love to hear more about your apartment (agency?).

When my sister and I were itsy-bitsy girls, our parents took us on an extended trip to Spain. I <b>hated</b> the food and to this day my mother claims, &quot;I thought you were going to starve to death.&quot; Well, how could I when there was ice cream?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What lucky little girls. I wish I had their experiences as a child.
Ues, the bed-making impressed me too
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM

This is a fun report, surfmom. It's great that you are able to take such a wonderful trip with your little ones. We took our girls abroad when they were 10 and 12, and it was one of the highlights of our lives.

They have always been fairly-to-very picky eaters, and I was AMAZED when we went to Germany when they were 14 and 16. We ate Christmas Eve dinner at a very fancy restaurant, and they tasted everything, and liked most of it (inventive soup, aspic type salad, game for the main course, etc.) I thought that I'd never see that day!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I used to tell my kids, when we would argue about things colored green on the plate, &quot;You never know. This could be the day you liked broccoli [or whatever it was].&quot;

You don't eat your dinner, no dessert.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Hi surfmum

We are going to Paris in June with our 2 boys, 6 &amp; 3. How did you find walking with your two girls? Did you use your stroller alot?

Thanks. Looking forward to reading more.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM

keep it coming.. we are going to be in Paris with our boys - 9 and 7 yrs - and daughter 5 yrs in June for 4 days (part of 1 mth trip in Europe).. would love to hear ALL the details of what the girls liked! Also, about the stroller and how much you used it. My daughter hasn't been in a stroller in yrs - but we're thinking of taking it - especially for Paris!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Oh and the bike tour - assume FatBike Tours? Did the girls ride their own, or tandem or child seats? We're planning to do this -- How was the jetlag? (if you're from US?)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Day 3, Friday – A Double Decker Carousel!! A Double Decker Carousel!!

After waiting in a too-long line, we took the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower. While I agree that the top is anti-climatic and the views are better from the 1st or 2nd stage, it is pretty hard to convince a 5 and 6 yr. old that they don’t need to go to the top. We had fun writing and mailing postcards from the first level of the Eiffel Tower while having a snack. Since the higher levels were crowded, the 1st floor was a nice change with space for them to wiggle a little more. After heading down, we visited the first carousel of the day (just across the street from the Tower), crossed the Seine and visited carousel #2 (this one was a double decker carousel!). On the walk up to Palais Chaillot, we spied another park, so we had to test it out. We finally convinced the girls to depart and walked to the Arc de Triomphe. We weren’t too happy about the thought of carrying the stroller up 284 steps to the top of the Arc… and at that point, an employee pulled us over and we went up the elevator! This made two parents very happy! We walked the final floor to the outside top and since the girls don’t really understand the overwhelming factor driving in 6 lanes of circular traffic, the traffic circles around the Arc weren’t quite so impressive to them.

At this point, we made a rather poor decision and decided to walk to the apartment (about 3 miles, I later discovered). The girls didn’t find it so bad since they either rode on Daddy’s shoulders or the stroller, but we were rather tired. While it was a pleasant walk, it was also a long one. After a dinner break, we went in the Louvre and were happy to again use the Museum Pass. After a few stops along the way, we went to find Mona Lisa – an employee made a point of pulling the girls out and sending them up front to see! We then visited the Apollo Gallery (crown jewels!) and the Grecian stuff. After this, we had tired little people and it was time to head home for bed (after a quick visit to Palais Royal).

next: Who Said Climbing the Steps to the Notre Dame Towers Is Hard ?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM

The details are the opposite of boring!! Keep going - can't wait... am also interested in which apartment you staying in
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback. Its always a struggle to figure out whether the time factor of writing a trip report is worth it, but since I always enjoy reading others, I decided to take the time to do it (plus it is fun for the girls to remember!).

Two things that I’ll address – food and making their beds.

The making bed thing is fairly new – they are so proud of themselves to do it alone. Probably wouldn’t stand up to Martha Stewart standards, but I’m all for independence! I try to continue to praise them since they just beam over it.

Food, however, is one that I’ve really struggled with. My 6 yr. old is actually pretty good about trying foods – but I think our first day was probably not a day to push it. As the week went on, she was willing to try more foods, but with all the ‘new’ things the first day, I should have just stayed with familiar things. She is very good about trying at least one bite and then deciding – as opposed to my 5 yr. old who won’t like something just because.

They are great fruit and okay veggie eaters and good about milk and yogurt. It’s the meat thing for the 5 yr. old so I actually took peanut butter with me. How, you might ask, when I didn’t check bags ? Well, I found the little ‘Jif to go’ containers that are 2.2 oz and I put them in my quart ziplock (I think I fit 6 ?). Every day she either had pb sandwiches or pb and baguettes or pb and pretzels. And a complete vitamin, too. I keep hoping it’s a phase she will grow out of, but we’re not having much luck.

Another great thing were all the fruit stands all over -- you can buy 1 piece of fruit. We bought at least an apple and a banana every day and they would eat it while walking. (in addition to fruit/veggies with meals) It was a great way to get 'free' nutrition in them when they were hungry

VeeBee, jacri, Leely, I’ll answer your questions later. I promise. I need to go help in school right now and have to run.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Surfmom -- I too am enjoying reading your report. I was very excited to see that you are taking your fabulous pictures! As you know, I find your pictures to be very creative and, frankly, have them in my Paris &quot;favorites&quot; so I can get a fix every now and then!

I think it's wonderful that you're doing the trip report for your girls as they will so enjoy reading it as they get older. I know my own memory is such that I sometimes can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. I have done journals of my three trips to Paris and still enjoy reading them now and then. Brings back such great memories!

Keep it comin!

joy/luvparee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -