Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trip Report - 7 days/6 nights in Iceland, Mid-Late September

Trip Report - 7 days/6 nights in Iceland, Mid-Late September

Oct 6th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Trip Report - 7 days/6 nights in Iceland, Mid-Late September

7 Days, 6 Nights - Southern Coast mid-late September

See itinerary below, I will post recommendations and tips in subsequent thread.

Itinerary

Day 1 – Arrived inKeflavik airport at 6am, rental car from Lagoon Car Rental. Drove from Keflavik to Hofn. Spent the night at Glacier World.

Day 2 – Drove from Hofn to Kirkjubaejarklaustur. Spent the night at Icelandair Hotel Klaustur.

Below are the sites we visited:

Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Skaftafell – area of Vatnajokull Glacier National Park (2 hikes)
Svartifoss - Waterfall

Day 3 – Drove fromKirkjubaejarklaustur to Hella. Stayed in Hella for 2 nights, booked a cottage through AirBnB

Below are the sites we visited:

Kirkjugólfiđ “Church Floor
Fjađrárgljúfur Canyon
Reynisfjara
Dyrholaey
Skogafoss
Seljalandsfoss

Day 4 – Took a full day SuperJeep tour with MidGuard Adventure

Day 5 – Drove from Hella to Reykjavik. Stayed 2 nights in Reykavik in an apartment booked through Airbnb

In the morning we took a Snowmobile tour Gullfoss to LANGJÖKULL Glacier
In the afternoon, we covered the rest of the Golden Circle

Day 6 – Reykjavik for the day, just exploring around, it’s an easy walking city.

Day 7 – Before getting on our 5pm flight, we went to the Blue Lagoon
Oct 6th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Day 1 - Comments

We researched a lot of itineraries and decided that since we arrived so early and not much would be open, we would just spend the day driving the southern coast, going as far East as we could. This way, the rest of the week, we would never have to backtrack (unless you are driving the entire ring road, this is always a challenge). Our rental car with blue lagoon was fine, they are off property but less expensive than others and they will pick you up from the airport. We rented a 4WD Subaru Outback. The drive took us about 7 hours, we were of course tired, but the views were beautiful! We stayed at Glacier world hotel which was about 20 minutes outside of Hofn, but if we did it again, we would have stayed right in town at Hofn, its a cute harbor town.
Oct 6th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Anxiously awaiting more...
Oct 6th, 2018, 12:51 PM

great start. more would be great.
Oct 7th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Day 2 - comments

Jokulsarlon was our first stop of the day and because we were coming from the east driving west, we were able to get there early. This was great because this is a very popular spot and gets more and more crowded as the day goes along with tour buses coming from Reykjavik. There are boat rides in "Duck Tour" style vehicles, but we opted out because you do get a great view from the shore and they were a bit expensive for only a 30 minute tour and didn't look very comfortable (two rows of people sitting facing each other). We also crossed the street and went over to Diamond Beach. Heads up - the bridge at Jokulsarlon is under construction so be prepared for stopped traffic.

Drove a few minutes down the road to Fjallsarlon, we probably would have stayed there longer and maybe even done a boat tour, but for us it was incredibly windy there and so we only stayed for a short time.

My advice for Skaftafell is to stop at the visitors center first and check out all the hiking trails, we spent about 3 hours there hiking and the trails were very well marked. Tip: when you arrive to the parking lot, take your license plate number with you because you will need to pay for parking at a kiosk inside the visitor center and need that information to clear your vehicle upon leaving the lot. It's honor system, but the signs say they take a photo of your licence plate as you leave to check it was paid for.

We really liked Hotel Klaustur, they had a great restaurant, staff were very friendly, and our bathroom floor tiles were heated!
Oct 8th, 2018, 08:02 AM

I wasn't over thrilled with the idea of the duck boat tour either but my husband and kids did it and loved it. [No point telling you that now I suppose!] They came back telling me about the 10,000 year glacial ice they'd eaten! [well I think it was 10,000 years].

I think that there are probably a lot more tourists now that when we were there. I recall we arrived at about 4pm and there were a few people there but not loads. Because it was July we had loads of time to drive back to our accommodation which unlike yours was a very long way away. I like your idea of using the day you arrived to put all those miles under your belt - a ver efficient use of time.

Search this Thread