Trip report, 10 days in Paris. Day One.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We took the 10:55 PM Air France flight from JFK to CDG. It arrives at 11:50, we really love this flight as we have no jet lag, we have slept during normal sleeping hours and by the time we get through customs and get to the city we can check in to our hotel w/o delay. Yes you do loose half a day, but we think it is worth it as you are not tired. We were traveling with my partner, M, his sister MF, (sorry about the initials, they are real and were a running joke on the trip) and brother in law, RF. This was also to be their delayed honeymoon (not as bad as it sounds, they have been together 10 years, second marriage for both and they had the actual wedding back in September). They had never been to Paris and wanted us to show them around, which is great as I am bossy and love to tell people what to do and they are a captive audience.

Day One.

Our first night was spent as Hotel Des Marronniers on rue Jacob in the 6th. We have always wanted to stay here and it was charming. Perfect for a short stay as the rooms were small with no clothes storage other than a rod to hang things, but everything was covered in toile, there were swags over the bed and the courtyard view was quiet and lovely. We stayed in room 54 with twin beds, next door was room 53 and it had a view of the St. Germane church. MF & RF stayed in room 10 on the second floor which was smaller, had a double bed and more expensive (10 Euro), but just as lovely. The bathrooms were great as you could shower and use the toilet at the same time, a real time saver!

After check in we headed over the few blocks to the river and crossed at the Pont Des Arts where we both bought nice little watercolors from the artist for 15 Euro, then it was on to lunch on the roof of La Samaritan where MF had her first Croque Monsieur (she loved it) and I had my first (of many) 5 Euro Diet Coke. After taking many photos (it was our first trip to rely solely on digital cameras) we went downstairs to check out the store with its lovely central atrium. M bought some Alexander Dumas books in French for his mother as she was taught by French nuns and still likes the occasional book to read in French, poor thing can still not see a naked body (in person or print) w/o letting out a squeal (she is 78) and she blames it on those good old French nuns.

We then headed over the Pont Neuf to the Isle de la Cite to wander the streets on the way to Notre Dame, we walked by but did not go into the cathedral as it had a long line, we are very shallow and I am Presbyterian. Then onto our favorite place, the Isle St. Louis, where we have rented apartments the last few visits. We pointed out our favorite shops, went to pet “Rocco”, a vastly superior Jack Russell terrier who guard’s a nice little gallery and then on to Berthillon for ice cream, with the coconut winning hands down. On further down the main street to see what you can of the amazing Hotel Lambert (if you can, get a copy of the new autobiography of the recently deceased Baron de Rede who lived there with Marie Helene and Guy, some wonderful interior photos) and around the corner to Quai d’Anjou where we have twice rented fantastic apartments in a mansion built in 1642 (we always had very vivid dreams there, I swear it was all the history it had seen). We then crossed the Pont Sully and caught a cab back to the hotel to freshen up. We then had a lovely steak frites dinner at the nice Café Zinc around the corner from the hotel and then back to the room where I could hardly wait till morning for my oeufs brouille, chocolate chaud and croissants at Laudere just down the block.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:00 AM

Good stuff. Keep it coming. Love that you are bossy and also enjoyed this bit: "we walked by but did not go into the cathedral as it had a long line, we are very shallow and I am Presbyterian."
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

I enjoyed your Paris trip report. It's good to have a review of Hotel des Marroniers as it has been given negative reviews in the past. Probably it's due to the smallness of some of the rooms; you seem to have had one of their larger rooms. I understand what you mean by all that toile decor. Sometimes it's too much.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:27 AM

Great report so far, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

Looking forward to more, Alan. Please post the rest of the days as replies to this post to keep it all together.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

Oh Alan, I am loving this! I can see everything in my minds eye as we have always stayed on rue Jacob and we stayed at the Lutece on Ille St Louis years ago.
I am already wishing I were there again, after just being there in March..I never get tired of Paris <i>sigh</i>
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:47 AM

I am still trying to envision how one showers and uses the toilet at the same time....must be a guy thing.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM

Alan,
This is wonderful, and is making me get serious about counting down the days until our October trip.
Keep it coming!
Byrd
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM

...Palette?

Do you have a friend with a small sail boat? I have, and one &quot;sat down&quot; to use the shower&quot;...LOL

Thank you AlanM...I enjoy your comments too. I'll come to look everyday as you journalize