Trip Plans Advice

Search

Trip Plans Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Plans Advice

We will be arriving in Lisbon from Washington DC on Wednesday November 21st and leaving on Sunday the 25th to drive to the Algarve to visit relatives (I am Portuguese)for a week then returning to Lisbon on 12/2 for one night and flying home on 12/3.

I have been reading this site extensively and the debate about renting a car in Lisbon and need some advice. We will likely be staying at the Pestana Palace during our first 4 nights in Lisbon and like the flexibility of having a car to drive to the coast to visit, Sintra, Obidos, Estoril etc. and the hotel provides parking. We want to spend time touring Lisbon and are hoping to have the opportunity to meet Lobo and the LDC.

We are thinking of renting a car at the airport to drive around during our Lisbon stay and then we will drive to Almancil in the Algarve and return. While in Almancil, we will tour that region and thought we could drive to Evora from there. We are also considering driving to Seville also. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts - I travelled to Portugal many years ago with my mother and am anxious to return with my DH and close friends to have them experience my wonderful Portuguese heritage!
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM

Emilymarie, it's nice to know you are comimg. Keep us updated on you plans. If you want to do some queries feel free to email ([email protected]). It's too early to check availability to a complete LDC, but for a micro-LDC (chouriço assado in a Fado club in Bairro Alto), Loba and Loba are always available.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:58 AM

Lisbon is a very compact city, and therefore not practical to drive around in or park (as is the case with most international cities/European capitals). I would suggest you take public transit, taxis, or just walk during your stay there, then rent a car on the last day for your drive down to the Algarve.
This is what we did when had that same itinerary last year.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Lobo_Mau - We are looking forward to an LDC experience and will keep you posted. Bloom - thanks for the info. We plan to walk around Lisbon but thought we would use the car to drive and explore along the coast- to Sintra, Cascais, Estoril etc. How did you get to these towns when you were there?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
rex

Please see my reply on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34876059

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Rex - I clicked on the reply and it wasn't about Lisbon?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

We only had two days in Lisbon before driving down to the Algarve, so as much as I would've liked to have seen Sintra, etc., it just wasn't doable.
Sorry I can't help you with that leg of your trip.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM

emilymarie,

I think you misinterpreted what Rex meant in his post.

(I think) he referred to that particular post because your vague heading "Trip Plans Advice" may not get you the number of responses that you would if you reposted with a more specific title.

He was trying to be helpful to both you and the other poster.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
rex

Exactly.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
emilymarie - to clarify a bit more. in 10 days ou have only received 3 responses related to your questions. If your title had been more detailed you probably would have received 10 times that number.

All threads are lumped together under Europe. So "Trip Plans Advice" could be asking anything about anywhere . . . .
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your guidance about posting. I'm going to repost with a more specific heading as suggested