Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Algarve+Lisbon - Please help with planning!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling to Portugal the last week of October. We'll be traveling from London with our 2.5 yo son (we're NY expats currently living in LN) and my in-laws will be traveling from NY. As my in-laws will be traveling with us and will be staying in Portugal a few days longer, we'll be able to take a few day trips w/o our son allowing us greater mobility and flexibility.

Here's our itinerary so far: Sat am - arrive to Faro
Sat - Thu - Algarve (Dunas Durados Beach Club, near Quinta do Lago)
Thu - Sat - Lisbon
Sun am - fly out of Lisbon

Here're our questions:
1. Suggestions for half-day and full day trips in and out of Algarve
2. Is a day trip to Porto doable (out of Lisbon)
3. Any recommendations on dining near our base in Algarve and in Lisbon (we'll be there for our 4th anniversary)

Thank you very much!
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:12 AM

1. Sagres, where land ends and the sea begins. Mochique spa.
2. No. Go to Sintra instead
3. No comments.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM

I recommend a visit to the village of Monchique. Take a drive to the top of the highest mountain there for panoramic views of the land. You'll have to yield to the goats on the way up.

The west coast of Portugal is a must-see. It's beautiful and very unspoiled. (I think the government bans any development of it.) You'll see a few camper trailers on the cliffs enjoying the fresh air and views of the Atlantic. Though a bit windy, it's a nice place to have a picnic.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers.
A few follow up questions:
1. Does it make sence to go to Sintra on the way from Algarve to Lisbon instead of out of Lisbon? We'll be driving and can head out early in the morning if needed...

2. How many days should we spend in Lisbon? Would one full day be enough to see the main sights or will we really be cheating ourselves?

Thank you!
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM

To your first question, I would go to Lisbon first. The highway takes you from Algarve right into Lisbon. In any case, Sintra is worth a day trip and then drive back to Lisbon along the coast and visit Cascais.

To the second question, we spent 5 days in Lisbon and explored it at a very leisurely pace as we had a 9 yr old and an 78 yr old with us. I would take your child into consideration and not cram in too much into the day. 3-4 days should cover the major sights.

Go to Destinations on this site and look under Lisbon - there is a recommended itinerary.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Just got back from a week in the Algarve- was supposed to go windsurfing but the weather wasn't cooperating, so we did a bunch of day trips. We used public bus for all, and it was fine and could be an alternative for a group.

Day trips included:

1) Sagres and Cape St. Vincent- Phenomenal!
2) Monchique
3) Boat trip in Lagos along the rocks. There are also dolphin tours, fishing trips, kayaking- so several water based trips that a 2.5 yr old could handle (not kayaking, of course).
4) Horseback riding outside of Lagos
5) There are traveling markets all around the Algarve- we tried to go to the market in Alvor and it had closed just the month prior. There are Algarve weekly and monthly magazines that advertise the markets available.

A fantastic restaurant in Lagos is No Patio. I also remember reading about a couple of Michelin starred restaurants in the region. Check out www.algarvebuzz.com

We were also recommended to go to Aljezur. Since it looks like you are more on the eastern half of the Algarve, I'd look at Tavira and the barrier islands.

Have fun!

Emily