Search

Trip planning help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip planning help

Hello!
I think my husband and I have settled on Iceland as our European destination for the year. We would fly into Reykjavik and have 7 full days to explore. (Would fly home the morning of the 8th day)
Is this a decent amount of time to explore Iceland?
I haven’t started fully researching anything yet but i want to make sure there would be enough for us to do in Iceland. We’d be going in August.

Plan to rent a car and travel around. Probably stay the first day or two in Reykjavik (if recommended) and drive from there. I really want to go to Vatnajokull and see the glacier so I plan to fit that in.

Any tips and tricks while researching, planning, and booking?
Fodors was a great resource when I was planning our Ireland trip. Hopefully I can get as much insight for Iceland!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My TR from our 10 day trip last year might give you an idea of what you can (and can't) cover in your time frame.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...-trip-1453922/
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 07:44 AM

We did a 7 day road trip around the Ring Road and partial Westfjord in June. In the summer, the days are long and you have more hours driving, exploring and doing activities. Even though the trip was a little rushed, we are glad that we did it because we do not know when we will go back again.
Reykjavík is not very big and I think 1 day is good enough. You can make it your first or last day of your trip.
More details and photos https://bigsmallmoment.wordpress.com
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by lovexhappiness
Hello!
I think my husband and I have settled on Iceland as our European destination for the year. We would fly into Reykjavik and have 7 full days to explore. (Would fly home the morning of the 8th day)
Is this a decent amount of time to explore Iceland?
I haven’t started fully researching anything yet but i want to make sure there would be enough for us to do in Iceland. We’d be going in August.

Plan to rent a car and travel around. Probably stay the first day or two in Reykjavik (if recommended) and drive from there. I really want to go to Vatnajokull and see the glacier so I plan to fit that in.

Any tips and tricks while researching, planning, and booking?
Fodors was a great resource when I was planning our Ireland trip. Hopefully I can get as much insight for Iceland!

Thanks in advance.
Hi
I went with my husband in June, 2 or 3 years ago and we have rented a car. I think 1 week is enough to go around the island, we did it in less time. We just missed the part where they have the special birds... It is wise to rent a 4x4 and to book accomodation in advance. We staied in Reykjavik the 1st and the last night, and it is enouugh. There are a couple of museums that are interesting as well as the big church.
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:44 PM

7 days is a good amount of time to explore Iceland. We did the entire Ring Road in 10 days last September in a campervan. For 7 days I would recommend you focus on the West/South coast, especially if Vatnajokull is a must for your itinerary. There are so many beautiful sights in this part of the country that you would want to take your time and not have to rush through your trip. 1 day in Reykjavik should be enough (we only spent half a day there). And yes, if you are planning on staying in hotels you must book early (if you haven't yet).

We spent a lot of time planning our itinerary last year. You can check it out on our blog and use it as a guide to plan your trip: nomadsintraining.com