Trip planning 101

Oct 17th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Trip planning 101

Hi- I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to London and Edinburgh if late March for my mother a youthful 69) and sister and I.

The one thing that has me stumped so far is the tube pass. We will be in London for 7 days and will need to get from Heathrow to London, but not backto Heathrow. We also plan to visit Hampstead Court and Windsor Castle. We may take a day tour or train to Bath for a day.

Do we need the 7 day TravelCard, and will that take us to Windsor and Hampstead if we get the 6 zone pass? Or is a 1 zone pass the way to go, buying supplements for the days we travel to these destinations? Thanks in advance for all information. Lynnie
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:19 AM
rex

I really should not respond since I do not know the answer to your question.

But your message header is misleading (it implies you seek or have information to share on how to get started planning a trip), and thus likely to be irksome to those who like reading such posts - - and you do yourself a great disservice by NOT mentioning what you really are asking about!

Try again, and use a header like "Seeking info on the tube pass or 7 day travel card, to plan our trip to London, Windsor, Bath and Edinburgh".

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Lynnie, assume you mean Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle?? Both of these are best reached by train not Tube. Do a search on Fodor's for Hampton Court and one for Windsor and you will get specific information on which trains to take from which stations, etc.

OR, you can look up both online. Here is the information on how to get to Windsor Castle:

By train: To Windsor from London Waterloo or London Paddington. For train times call the National Rail Enquiries Service 08457 484950 (UK).

By coach: Green Line operates daily services from Victoria Coach Station, London.
Tour companies operate a daily service, collecting from many London hotels. For details ask your hotel.

By road: M4 to Exit 6. M3 to Exit 3.

For more information on Windsor visit www.windsor.gov.uk.

Just go to google.com and type in Hampton Court. It's that easy!
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Tia

We purchased a fare from Heathrow to central London so we wouldn't have to do a 7 day pass for more than zones 1 and 2 which worked out very well for us. We really did lots of traveling in zones 1, but went out to zone 2 some, too. I felt it was worth the money for the 7 day pass even though we only used it for six days. On the way back to Heathrow, the security man let us by with only a fare card for zones 1 and 2 even though we told him we still had to pay for the fare from zones 2 to 6. This saved us a little bit of money! Hopefully, this helps some. The Tube has a web site where you can figure out which zones you need to buy, costs, etc. Do a search on Yahoo and you'll find it. It was helpful to me in planning our trip from Heathrow into the city.

Tia
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Lynnie, in answer to your question, a 6 zone pass will cover your trip out to Hampton Court and Windsor Castle. I did not know that the first time I bought a pass, but when I went this past September I was told it does and I used my pass to go to Windsor castle. Yes, it is a train and not the tube, but the pass still is good to these locations. Most of the time you will probably be traveling in zones 1 and 2, so I don't know if it would be cheaper for you to just buy a 7 day pass for zones 1 and 2 and then just buy an extra pass for those trips out to Windsor, Hampton and Heathrow. You'll have to check the price difference for individual tickets to these areas. Hope this helps. BTW, you'll love Edinburgh, there is so much to see there. I took 2 days out of my 8 day trip and took the overnight Caledonian sleeper train from Euston station which leaves at 11:40 p.m. and arrives in Edinburgh the next morning at around 7:00 a.m. Although the sleeper car is tiny, I thought it saved me time as I did not lose half of a morning on the train as it is a 4 1/2 hour journey. They have family sleeper compartments, I'm told but they are probably small too. Just a thought in case you are adventurous. Enjoy planning your trip.
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a zone 1-6 travel card. It would be a HUGE waste of money. Buy a Zone 1 pass only (unless you are also going by tube or bus to Greenwich. Then get zone 1-2) True, Heathrow and Hampton Court Palace are in zone 6. But for these two journeys you simply pay a small supplement to you zone one pass.

When you arrive at Heathrow - go to the tube ticket window and buy a zone 1 weekly travel card AND the supplement for the trip into central London. If you pay for a 6 zone pass you are paying as though you are traveling from zone 1 to 6 and back every day. It will be VERY expensive.

The travel card is good on tubes, buses and trains - so you use it even for HCP - again after paying the small supplement. Windsor is outside of London so you would need to buy train tickets and the travel card is not applicable.
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks to all. I will put this info to good use.

Rex-point taken. I'm new at posting, although I've been reading the posts while planning the trip. I'm sure I will have other questions and will make an effort to do as you suggested.