Reload this Page >

trier vs bamberg

Search

trier vs bamberg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:54 PM
mast

trier vs bamberg

Hi! <BR> I need to choose between trier and bamberg, which is the better choice? <BR> Thanks! <BR> <BR>mast

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:26 AM
harzer

I just love Bamberg, especially the Cathedral, and cannot remember very much from my only trip to Trier many, many years ago. <BR> <BR>All I can say is, it depends where you are in Germany, and what mode of transport you are using, which one you decide on. Trier does seem out of the way compared to Bamberg, although they are about equidistant from Frankfurt, because of the lack of other high-profile tourist destinations in its vicinity.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:13 AM
kristina

Hi, <BR> <BR>I just came back from Trier yesterday and found it very interesting. It's like a little part of Italy in Germany! I have also been to Bamberg and found it quite nice...especially the cathedral. But if I had to choose, I would pick Trier just because it is so different from any German city I've visited.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:01 AM
kk

I've been to Bamberg and absolutely loved it! I was only there for one day and could have happily stayed for three, no kidding. <BR>Trier I've not managed to get to precisely because it has been out of the way to the other places on my itineraries. Some people have told me the only great thing in Trier was the old Roman gate, but for me that would be enough. <BR>If time is of the essence (and when is it not), and you really can't decide between the two cities, why don't you just choose the one that fits into your travel plans the easier? You don't want to turn up too much time getting to and from places.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:02 AM
kk

I meant to type BURN up too much time.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Dave

There is certainly more to Trier than the Porta Nigra (Black Gate). This was once - briefly - Constantine's capitol of the Roman Empire, after all. In addition to the Black Gate and Constantine's Basilica, there are the ruins of two separate bath complexes (one of which is quite extensive). In the hills above town there is also a well-preserved arena. <BR> <BR>Trier was later the seat of a Holy Roman Electorate, with a cathedral and extravagant electoral palace. There is also a colorful market square and several interesting churches. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 12:58 AM
mast

my original plan is to go to any of these cities when I reached Frankfurt airport, after that I will head to Deidesheim for my home base. I will be covering Nurnberg and Rothenburg as well, and after all the good advices from you guys, I just couldn't give up any of these cities!

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Jeff

Sorry, can't place Bamberg in my mind. Trier though is worth a stop, if you are in the area. Maybe I misunderstood your last post, but Trier is quite a ways from Frankfurt. Last year we flew into Frankfurt, hit Rothenburg, backtracked past Frankfurt to the Rhine and Mosel, down through Trier to Paris (over the course of a week). That worked pretty well, though the backtracking is never great. But that is an itinerary idea. <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Doug

If you're a Mosel wine drinker, go to Trier. If you prefer beer, go to Bamberg. Both are the "capitals" of their respective poisons.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 10:39 AM
tom

i would say bamberg for two reasons. the area around the town hall, and the catheral area. also wurzburg is not far away neither.