Reload this Page >

Trier to Cochem by rail/boat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:04 PM
JP

I am planning 2 nights in Trier. Will have a car, but would like to try getting to Cochem & Berg Eltz, by train and return by river boat (in a single day). No problem finding train information/schedules, but not finding much on boat schedules, times, etc. Would appreciate any information, suggestions.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Russ

It takes about 9 hours of boat ride to go from Trier to Cochem, and 11 hours upstream from Cochem to Trier. Smaller segments can be done with the Gebr&uuml;der Kolb line, which serves most of the river - don't know if they have anything online in terms of schedules (try "Gebrueder" when doing a search.) Suggestion: Do Cochem and Burg Eltz first, then get on the 3 pm boat leaving Cochem headed upstream to Zell. On the way, the boat stops at Ediger and then at Bullay, both of which have train stations that can take you on to Trier. It's about 2.5 hours to Bullay from Cochem - a pleasant ride through a very attractive part of the river. This boat doesn't run every day in the shoulder season. When are you travelling? It should run daily from July through October, weekends and Wednesdays in May and June.<BR><BR>Russ

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jp

Russ, thanks for the great info. I had no idea that it would be an 11 hour trip! Will be there at end of May, so hope summer schedules will be in effect. Will try your search suggestion.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM
trying

JP: Another thing to factor in: Berg Eltz requires a good 45 minute to an hour hike (each way) from the train station to the castle (although the area is beautiful). The trail head was poorly marked when I was there, and there were no facilities in which to store luggage/baggage at the station (at least at that time). If you drive, you can get much closer to the castle (and, perhaps, making your visit there more efficient?).

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Russ

That's a good point, trying. JP will need to get an early start that day to see Eltz and Cochem by 3:00. The hike from Moselkern through the dark forest is really a very nice one and makes for a very mystical approach - not to be missed, in my opinion - but does require time.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Russ

JP: I found this schedule - it doesn't list Wed for the Cochem-Zell boat, just Sat and Sun. Better copy and paste.<BR><BR>http://liveserver.ionas.de/_scripts/...tsunternehmen/

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:04 PM
jp

Russ -<BR><BR>I found this schedule:<BR> http://www.mosella.de/kolb/linienfahrten.htm<BR><BR>It says (I cheat using babelfish to translate) that they do run on Wednesdays in May....which by chance is the day I was planning for! I will have to confirm once we get there.<BR><BR>Also appreciate tryinghard's comments on timing. We will plan to get an early start. If we fall behind schedule or find Berg Eltz, Cochem, etc. worthy of longer visit we can always drop the boat portion and just do train the entire way back to Trier. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.